Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Garage floor towing hook..

rgrigsby

I'm trying to find some kind of hook that I can bolt to the garage floor to allow me to winch the trailer/caterham into the garage tow hook first. Ideally something with a removable hook so that I can undo it when it's not in use.

Any ideas where I might find something like this? I've tried the local trailer/caravan place, B&Q, Halford, Homebase etc etc no luck so far..

I've just spotted Machine Mart sell "anchor points" but it it's a 30" long fixing, there's no way I'm going to get that into the concrete garage floor!! still looking...

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 23 Mar 2003 15:39:22

Go to a Climbing / Caving equipment shop and ask for 'Bolts'. They should be able to sell one off complete with a plate through which you'll be able to pass a hook, if the hole dia. is too small for you winch hook they'll be able to sell you a karabiner to go with it.

Bolts are usually placed using a 10 or 12mm masonry bit on a battery powered drill, one handed whilst climbing or suspended in a harness, the garage floor sounds much easier.

Happy Drilling.

Paul

Push 😬

More seriously the top of the drive near the garage is wide enough to turn the trailer around even with the car on it, the garage itself is on a slight downwards slope towards the door so it's very easy to push the trailer/car out of the garage and spin it round at the top of the driveway and then hook it up to the tow car.

I store the car on the trailer in the garage hence ideally it's good to put the trailer in tow hook first so I can just drive the Caterham of the trailer when I want to go out for a drive.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

If you're talking about bolting an anchor point to the floor for security, are you sure you want to be able to take it out again? If you are interested I'll try and find out where I got mine from, although it's strictly and deliberately not removeable - you use 3 alan bolts with big chunky metal rawlplugs to bolt it in, then hammer ball-bearings into the alan heads to prevent them ever being removed. You end up with a smooth lump on the floor with a fold-down shackle you can thread a large chain through. I put the chain through the chassis on the 7 for extra security...

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

Most heavy machines in engineering workshops are fixed to the concrete floor with some large Rawlbolt type fixtures, try talking to some engineering supplies companies, or nut and bolt suppliers, the Homebase, B & Q outfits wont cut the mustard for something solid that you'll be needing. Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

May not be what you are looking for, but I had a security loop which I bolted to a wall outside for chaining my scooter to. Two or three 4" bolts in the wall, which you could not then remove, and a big metal loop big enough for a motorbike security chain. Motorbike shop. Not sure if its suitable, but a strong anchor point and loop for fixing a hook to.

😬35,000 miles in 19 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here