Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drilling wings

Graeme Smith

I'm trying to fit a new rear wing at the moment. Any ideas for drilling the holes for mounting and the rear light? I'm measuring distances and doing trigomometry from the trashed wing with bits of string at the moment...

Wouldn't it be great if Caterham sold pre-drilled wings? *idea*

• Area Representative

Years ago when Caterham sold the kits without the helpful black indelible pen marks, ISTR that I had the car on a level surface and measured from the floor to the bottom of light unit per the legal regulations.

As you have the rear light still on the other wing, its easy enough to measure the distance from the bottom of this unit to the ground and to replicate it on the other side. Measure the distance from the body to the inner side face of the light and using the light block itself, mark the first point to drill on the wing.

This will give you a point to secure the light base which (hopefully 😳) matches the other side. Using a small spirit level to ensure the light is truly horizontal (another good reason to have the car on a level surface!) on the wing, drill the remainder of the holes, ensuring the base doesn't move and there you have it.... *thumbup*

On fitting the wing itself, when you offer the wing up and you will be able to mark at least one hole from within the boot area onto the wing face. This will help to hold the wing on for the other holes and allow you to pivot it to make the fit correct. Even if the first hole (or any other one thinking about it!) is slightly out, using the big plate washers allows for the holes to be expanded as the washer does the work of holding the wing in place rather than the hole itself.

For the holes towards the front of the wing where the captive nuts are, screw the bolts in most of the way and put a little dab of tippex or paint on the head and offer the wing up. When the bolt head comes into contact with the inner face of the wing , it will leave a mark for you to drill.

HTH and I'm not teaching "grandmother to suck eggs!!"

Cheers

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬