Click here if you are having website access problems ×

battery disconnection

YW Sin

I'm not sure, I got it wrong a while back and managed to blow the ecu fuse, I've taken to taking this out when connecting and disconnecting the battery now, just to avoid irritation more than anything.

• Area Representative

As the negative terminal is already connected to the chassis so any contact with the spanner to the chassis, engine etc. when disconnecting the lead has no effect at all on the battery. As Lawrence then says disconnecting the live teminal and touching any chassis, engine point is safe because the battery is effectively out of the loop (or should than read, circuit)

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

• Area Representative

YW Sin,

Sure the loop is out when you disconnect the red/positive as well, but as you might have found if you undo the positive first and touch the chassis, sparks fly! as the negative is still connected.

Disconnecting the earth/black first means that inadvertent contact with the chassis/engine does not cause any problems because the negative terminal is ALREADY connected to the chassis via the earth strap and so any additional contact between the negative terminal and the chassis is not a problem

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

If you leave the earth cable connected and disconnect the red positive lead first and your spanner happens to touch the chassis while its other end is around the bolt on the positive, your spanner will become a permanent part of your chassis as 300 amps flow through it and weld it to the car.

Your hand will also rise to about 500 deg C if you are still holding it at the time. Look at the words "Chrome Vanadium" on your spanner in a mirror. This is what you risk having tattoed on your hand for the rest of your life if you don't disconnect the earth cable first (and reconnect it last). *eek*

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Electrons flow out of the negative terminal of the battery, through the chassis/components in circuit and back into the positive terminal.

Removing the negative lead stops electricity from leaving the battery.

Chris is right - don't try for the tatoo *eek*

BRG SV kit. 😬 Only six days away *thumbup*

Guys, Points well taken.

I am NOT under any circumstances, going to carry any free advertisements (though in inverse) on my skin 😬

I will disconnect the black one first.

Edited by - yw sin on 23 Mar 2003 09:01:31