Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox prop oil seal change

Wrightpayne

I would think access better from underneath - the handbrake mount and lever would get in the way from the top I would think?  

How bad is the drip?  Think of it as chassis rust protection . . .

Mine leaks, has done for years, but oil always runs out the filler, so . . .

My 6 speed has always leaked a little from the tail seal. The oil runs forward down the tail housing and drops from the lowest point. At first glance it doesn’t seem to be the seal but it is. 

I’ve not bothered changing it because it’s a very small leak. If I wipe it clean it’ll typically be the end of the second run out before it drops and even then it’s just a drop or two (Depends on how long the runs are, of course!) 

It doesn't continue to drip when stood but there’s also a mist thrown onto the inside of the tunnel, though it takes a year or two to become noticeable.

I've never noticed any significant effect on oil level

Modern oil seals don't tend to need "throwers".

Lots of info on the Trelleborg website if you get really bored.

Spent the last two years working on a hypocycloidal gearbox project (1/2 tonne gear set in a 1/2 tonne case), so had to spec more than one seal . . .

As a matter of interest, give the end of the prop shaft a good vertical tug- rattle at the gear box end and see how much it moves. I think that a lot of seals leak because there is too much clearance between the prop nose and the gearbox bearing sleeve causing the prop to vibrate in the seal. Not normally serious but maybe the cause of a leak

Ian,

Depending on what tunnel top you have, access may be very limited. A race chassis (with the handbrake under the dash) will not have a long enough cutout to work on the rear of the gearbox from the top.

I would personally think that it was possible to do from under the car. The access is fair, but as it has been suggested a lift would be helpful.