Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mems3 to eu2 harness patch??

Paul Drawmer

I know this is odd but...

I have been offered a MEM3VVC160 ecu for my eu2 engine.

I know that the software 'will run' an eu2 engine, BUT the harnesses are the problem.

How difficult would it be to make a patch to link the harness off the EU2VVC to my shiny new MEMS3 ECU?

Or... how expensive and complex would it be to change the engine harness for a mems3? I guess I'd need the coil on plug thingies as well?

Alternatively...any swop their MEMS2j ECU for a MEMS3?

Paul - most people want to go the other way *confused*

I am not sure it as easy as you might think e.g. the eu3 has no dizzy how would it cope with that

and you would need a new cam cover to bolt the coils on plug thingies to it ☹️

why not something like an emerald, much easier and programmable....

rob *smile*

Edited by - robmar on 21 Mar 2003 19:26:53

why not something like an emerald, much easier and programmable....

err because I'm broke! A used Mems2j will cost me about 100 from a breaker, whereas the esteemed emerald will cost rather more, and I'm not at all sure I'd get any gain.

The engine is a std VVC with the larger throttlebody and a variable fuel pressure regulator.

Not exactly state of the art!

The engine loom will have a few problems.. it will have cam sensor wiring which is incorrect for the EU2 VVC, the connectors for the coils will be for plug top coils and the wiring harness for the injectors will be wrong as will the injector connectors themselves. However some pruning and grafting might do the trick.

Oily

Paul, I'm having problems configuring a late immobiliser to work with a '97 EU2 ECU, have you investigated how you will do this or do you not think that there will be any problems. If you end up having a spare ECU and/or immobiliser, any chance of a shot at it?

Paul J.

Paul, is your immobiliser a Rover 5AS unit with the key chain 'plips'?

If so, I don't think thst there should be any incompatibility probs with the MEMS unit either 2 or 3.

The only problem is going to be getting them talking to one another, and it isn't a long job, but I have heard of a Rover dealer asking £100, and another doing it for free!

I don't have any spare components to help you with as I was able to do a swop.