Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BMW/Titan LSD Viability

Geoff Brown

I’m not even sure ‘mass’ production would be necessary. They’re only needed on Duratec cars and they’ve got a finite time to go.

Maybe that has something to do with the slow response? Perhaps Titan aren’t happy about making the investment? 

I very much doubt that CC have the capability of producing their own. 

Edited by ScottR400D

• Area Representative
On 10/02/2024 at 19:50, 7 wonders of the world said:

Steve can make whatever quantities are required, getting CC to commit to placing timely orders which respect the timelines involved though is another matter ......

Steve did it for the Palmer Seven fleet at the Autodrome so yes, I suppose that he could ramp up production given a decent lead in time.

• 3 months later...

Have Caterham issued a specific maintenance schedule for these diffs or are we still relying on the ambiguous statement on the Titan website?  

If I buy a car fitted with a Titan lsd from a Caterham dealer, should I expect the service record to include a change of diff oil annually and the lsd rebuild at 10000 miles, or should I just ask them to measure the preload for me and take it from there?

I think CC offer the same as Titan. Though not voluntarily in that they don’t seem advise customers unless they ask. 

Measuring the preload might be good enough to predict end of life but it’s no guarantee. 

The sintered plate ones seem to last better than the carbon ones but are often very noisy and rough in use. 

On 24/11/2023 at 09:47, Colin Heseltine said:

Tim - Gulf Seven,

Interesting to see your breakout torque dropped by 4ft.lb when swapping diff oil.  I changed to the Redline LSD oil an mine dropped 4ft.lbs from 43 to 39ft.lbs.  420R just over 2 1/2 years old with 16500 miles on clock.

Colin

I've only just seen this sorry!

It was a year later as well as different oil, so the proof will be in this year's test...

15 hours ago, ScottR400D said:

I think CC offer the same as Titan. Though not voluntarily in that they don’t seem advise customers unless they ask. 

Measuring the preload might be good enough to predict end of life but it’s no guarantee. 

The sintered plate ones seem to last better than the carbon ones but are often very noisy and rough in use. 

Thanks for your response.  It would be good to see it in writing from CC.  

1 hour ago, DW199 said:

Thanks for your response.  It would be good to see it in writing from CC.  

Yes but not much chance of that, IMO. They still don’t seem to accept that there’s ever been an issue. 🤷

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, DW199 said:

Have Caterham issued a specific maintenance schedule for these diffs or are we still relying on the ambiguous statement on the Titan website?  

If I buy a car fitted with a Titan lsd from a Caterham dealer, should I expect the service record to include a change of diff oil annually and the LSD rebuild at 10000 miles, or should I just ask them to measure the preload for me and take it from there?

Buyer beware & ask all the questions involving a TITAN & any proof of in service work or overhaul.  Ask them to carry out a pre load check & as part of the pre sale service to change the diff oil. Ask to see the old oil. If a late car the oil should be relatively clean as sintered plates were fitted. With cars MY 2006 to about  2014/15 (approximate guess) the oil if black or very dark would indicate the TITAN carbon plates are failing/have failed. 

Caterham have never issued maintenance & service advice for the TITAN it has all been down to what little Titan Automotive offers & owners to put together some sort of comprehensive advice not only on this thread but also here: BMW Differential Titan limited slip unit - how to check & protect while in service. - Differential - Caterham and Lotus Seven Club (caterhamlotus7.club)

Unfortunately the carbon plated TITAN LSDs are a time bomb just waiting to go off.

Shamefully Caterham have recently admitted to there being a problem with the earlier TITAN when I had a personal one to one with Bob Laishley. 

Edited by Geoff Brown

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, GulfSeven said:

Are the standard oil drain plugs not magnetic?

No drain plug on the diff, one has to suck the oil out. No mag plug fitted from the factory.

Edited by Geoff Brown