Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo tank installation problem.

Ian in MK

I've just finished installing an Apollo tank and having started the engine all seemed well and I was quite pleased until I saw a couple of drips of oil on the floor. Taking a look it doesn't appear to be coming from any of the new connections I've made during the install and from what I can see looks like it's come from behind the around the cam belt cover just above the alternator belt (can't trace the source exactly). The only thing I haven't installed is the piece of foam inside the cam cover as I couldn't quite understand how this fitted having purchased the pieces of the kit separately and not having the photo's with the instructions. Could not having that piece of foam be causing me a problem or perhaps I've overfilled the car with oil? I've put about 7 Litres in it and from what I can see the level appears to be about right. Appreciate any thoughts.

Did you use a (new) copper crush washer where the aeroquip hose bolts into the cam cover?

When I fitted mine (since replaced with a dry sump system) I struggled with the sandwich plate and its unions. I had to tighten them on the bench as couldnt get a spanner in, then the 90 degree elbows fouled the block so the sandwich plate wouldnt tighten up squarely. Only had to drain the oil once to re-do it! Relieved the block a little with the dremmel.

I'd clean everything down, go for a short run and have another close inspection.

Ian

Thanks for all the replies. Really good to know the foam probably doesn't do too much. I've been looking at it again today and run the car for a while and seen no more leaks. I'll take it for a drive tomorrow and check it then. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be okay. Great to get two replies from Milton Keynes with offers of help. What a great club.

Hi John, Sorry I didn't read your article last night but have read it just now. Really wish I had put a call out before I started the installation. You've gone through almost exactly the same process as me including thinking I had cross threaded the temp sender. Having put it in three turns I thought the thread was wrong and the part must have changed over time. I actually removed it, tapped the hole and put a bolt in it thinking that I just won't have the temp reading. I would also have seen how the piece of foam fits in. Like you I was pleased with the way I worked through the install and hopefully if I go for a test drive today I won't see any leaks. I've printed it off and will put it in my folder. Thanks for taking the time to send it and to everybody else for their tips and offers of assistance.