Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Cam cover mods

Anthony

Ant - there's a description on their website. It basically involves removing 90% of the plate & baffle from the inside of the cam cover. The idea is to counter the engines tendency to chuck oil up the breather by the dipstick, around the baffle in the cover and then out of the cover via the breather oulet. On the VXi where the breather was plumbed back into the injection plenum this leads to James Bond style smoke screens when cornering hard to the right. On TB's or carbs it leads to a full catch tank quickly. The mod allows any oil that is chucked up to simply fall onto the cams.

It works, and cured my heavy breathing problem - The one related to the Cat anyway *smile*

Edited by - AVES on 21 Mar 2003 11:59:44

If you look at my website under More 7 stuff and then pictures or 7 DIY you will see picture of the finished article. Or

here

Under race spec changes.

Made a huge difference to the ever filling catch tank problem!

I can mail you larger photo's if it helps.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 21 Mar 2003 17:56:24

No quite my understanding of it.

I removed all but the little bit to stop direct cam splash out the breather hole

with the wet sump. Big improvement in the oil not getting in the catch tank and easier to maintain the correct level of oil in the sump on track.

I changed to the dry sump system and left the cam cover mod as it was.

You still need the little bit of plate to stop cam splash just the same.

Good luck. Oh and do replace the cam cover gasket. I didn't and the it started to leak on my in the holding paddock for my 2nd ever qualifying session!

Fortunately a big race team had one they lent me. So I could carry on with the days fun.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here