Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Exhaust Sytems

Matt Shears

Matt, try doing a search there's been a lot of discussion on this very topic during the last few months.

Powerspeed 4.2.1 is about £500. I fitted one to my 1.6 SS last year and it made a noticeable difference with mid range pickup. Go for a repackeable system and obviously in stainless steel.

Phil *cool*

Matt, I just got a quote from Powerspeed for a 4-2-1 exhaust for my 1.8K, price is £600 all in (stainless steel, fitted, lead time about 4 weeks). They have a pattern so do not need the car to make the exhaust up, fitting takes about hours. One point to bear in mind is that if you go for their option you will not have a cat so will need to put the old exhaust back on to get through an MOT. They can make up a bespoke one to fit your silencer (with cat) but I have no costs for this.

One extra point, I am not sure whether Caterham would regard this as a non standard mod and would therefore not take the car back, but I guess you could put the old one back on but that would leave a big hole in the side of the car.

Good luck.

Graham.

R7 GPK

I put an EBD 4-2-1 with Raceco can on mine, cost over £700 in total with Graham of EBD welding extra brackets onto the can to fit. It's all very well made.

The difference it made was astonishing. I very nearly scared myself the first time I buried the throttle between roundabouts post upgrade.

Forgot to say, I've got a 1.8vvc too.

Edited by - Luke Beaumont on 21 Mar 2003 13:11:25

I have a 1.6k and found that there was a HUGE difference between "on" and "off cam" with the standard exhaust. Following Arnie's advice on here I went to www.haywardandscott.co.uk in Basildon for a 4-2-1 stainless manifold to my old exhaust.

The manifold is a total work of art and the performance difference is incredible. I'm having to re-learn how to drive Kermit as it no longer rips your head off at 4.5k, but gives a much faster and smoother acceleration right through the rev-range. The peak torque is noticeably higher too.

I went out with an aeroscreen for the first time since I got the new manifold last night, and realised that the next upgrade is going to have to be a shift light, because I could hardly change gear fast enough!

Hayward and scott took Kermit for a week, I dropped it off 1 saturday and picked it up the next. No problems, excellent workmanship and no fuss. All fitted for 587 including VAT - not the cheapest you'll find, but an excellent job and they seemed genuinely interested in doing a good job.

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

Thanks to you all. It sounds like a 4-2-1 from one of the names mentioned could be a very smart move. I will have a look through some of the previous postings for more info.

Is anyone aware of a good supplier in the South West London / Surrey area?

Any pictures you guys have would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

Matt.

Powerspeed are in Ashford, Kent. here so not too far from you.

If you do a search for threads on Powerspeed Bulk Buy, you should be able to find a link to some photos.

Very pleased with mine *thumbup* 😬

P979TMV - As seen on current Caterham advert, back of LF