Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Liners - do I replace or not?

TorAtle

My liners, which are now close to 5 years old and have had ca 20000km of use and been honed twice, are now considered replaced. They are not looking very bad but have some indication of wear.

1. If I hone them once more, is there a danger of the piston rings not closing fully? I am running forged pistons if that's important.

2. Is there a more rubust/accurately machined liner now available that will not break the bank? Is the current version improved compared to the one produced in '98? Price ballpark of both standard and uprated item would be helpful..

3. The latest engine failure was a blown headgasket. That is there was a lot of white smoke from the tailpipe but to be frank I couldn't see any damage to the head gasket. I intend to check the head for straightness but how do I measure that the liners are within spec tolerance?

Thoughts would be most welcome!

There are some new ones that Dave Andrews has had produced but I believe he may be changing sources as one or two teething probs. Std liners ain't that much anyway. New set might be a good bet. Worth checking head for warp. I found a company that do shims for 'K' series heads so that if they have been skimmed and the compression ratio may be too high then this could be used to help lower the ratio.

No experience of it in action. Just thought it may be an answer!!!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

I had my VHPD shimmed, and the coolant thought it was holiday time and made its escape within a few miles. I'd never recomment one to anyone.

Honda Passion Orange, 640kg *eek*, and proud of it *smile*

Edited by - c21vhpd on 21 Mar 2003 18:27:21

Tor,

The current best liner option that is on the market is that offered by Scholar Race Engines. They require your block and machine it to fit their uprated thick walled liners. Machined with a flat on one surface and are butted together, they then heat the whole assembley and plateau hone it whilst under a torque plate. Costs £300 plus vat. They are also doing a mono block liner that will allow a capacity increase to 1900cc for £650.

Rob

Edited by - Rob walker on 23 Mar 2003 09:02:32

Ooo, wish I had the money to go for a monobloc liner with new pistons. However being an IT contractor with no contracts at the time being I'll have to opt for a more modest solution.

John, thanks for the offer but I think I'll go for a new set.

Btw, do you guys know of any companies in the UK which ship standard Rover parts to EC countries and accept credit card payment? Must be reliable and fast...resonably priced wouldn't hurt either. If they can take orders by email it would be big plus.

Dear Mr c21vhpd,

How is the VHPD. You don't want a duratec. You know you don't. Hope the VHPD will be back together soon. Then you won't have to use that 2 wheeled thing, what are they called...Oh yes a Bike. No only joking. Good luck with the rebuild

😬 😬 😬

Paul,

Thanks! The rebuild parts are flooding in from all over the place - Roger King, Oily and others (just to keep this on topic - including new liners. I pushed out the old ones today, and they've done a lot more than 10000 miles, which is odd because A*******r had said they replaced them 10000 miles ago *mad* )

And bikes are just as much fun as se7ens - in a different way 😬

Honda Passion Orange, 640kg *eek*, and proud of it *smile*

I installed a new block this winter , I had the block modified by Scholar Race engines with the thick liners which are an interference fit and biutted togther at the tops , then hot honed , finally the block is decked to achieve the required liner protrusion .

The work was carried out swiftly , to the agreed price and to a very high standard - the bores only used 1/2 L of mineral oil in 500 miles when running in . The engine was opened up properly for the first time at Llandow this weekend and its performing well ( thats cursed it )

I would highly reccomend Scholar for this modification .

I will be writting a piece for Low flying when I get some spare time ....

details are :

here :

http://www.kellysearch.com/company.asp?ck=82511180&pn=6135506

or :

Scholar Engines

High performance car engine manufrs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Telephone and fax

Tel: (01449) 767711

Fax: (01449) 767772

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address

Blue House La

Mendlesham

Stowmarket

Suffolk

IP14 5NH

Map

Mendlesham, Suffolk

Products and services

3 product / service areas

Balancing Services, Dynamic

Engine (Motor Vehicle) Rebuilders/Reconditioners/Suppliers

Racing Car Engines

I've my block done by Scholar over the winter. You will want to speak to Alan to sort out getting the block done. If you want to get one done now you will need to get in contact very soon as they are getting very busy with race stuff this time of year and you will be lucky to get hold of him.