Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rusting in this weather.........

caseyc

Not having driven the seven for a while (like 5-6 weeks) I now have a flat battery (which will be easy enough to sort out), but more worryingly is the fact that it is actually rusting (as it is kept outdoors).

So far the brake disks are a nice orange colour.....

Any other parts to watch out for, any thoughts on preventing this (car cover might stop direct rain but not condensation/etc), and more importantly - am I going to need new brake disks, need to clean them up, or just drive it again and wait for them to wear down.

I'm a little surprised that a car (which by definition gets used outside) is so susceptible to the weather......

Casey

Casey,

It's not that the car is any more suseptable - just the workings are a lot more visible. The discs should be fine once you've used them a bit, don't brake hard to start with.

Mine lives in a garage, but the discs still get an orange layer if its left for more than about 2 weeks.

Get out and drive it - it's what its there for.

>Get out and drive it - it's what its there for.

I just knew that was going to be the reply :-) I would, but round my way my spare time hasn't coincided with anything resembling mild weather.....and much as I love my Seven I hate colds.

Better still is the mildew on the steering wheel (now indoors) and on anything cloth like.....and the hood has a layer of water hanging from it. Anyway, gave it a good cleaning and removed the worst of the lifeforms....just waiting for a clear spell.....(and some free time)

Casey

The brake disc rusting is common to all cars left outside and provided it is not left too long will simply be rubbed off the next time you use it. I have even known the pads rust (albeit very lightly) on to discs overnight if used in heavy rain. This has happened on my BeeEm and you can tell when they have stuck by the jolt as you move away in the morning.