Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where to buy used Rover/MG engine in UK

Sweden AR

I think it's the unpredictability / non linearity of the power delivery. The tendency for the power to surge as the turbo spins up without direct input from the driver. A normally aspirated engine, even a big one like an R500, gives you what you ask for immediately. And if you want a bit more you then ask for a bit more. Put your foot down in a turbo and you get something, then it keeps building, often quite suddenly. Mid way through a bend on the limit in something light weight a big surprise present from the turbocharger could spell trouble.

Exactly what I think. I had someone chasing me to help him registering a Cateham with an YB engine here in Denmark. I refused and demonstrated to him what happens with my own 200BHP car when it comes "on cam" in a corner in 2nd and full welly: It spins. You can handle the car when you know exactly when it happens, if you don't, you can't.

If I was to charge a Caterham in any way it'd be with a Rotrex supercharger.

But remember that only the half dead needs a respirator...

I looked at pressure charging the 21 race car last year. Packaging, heat management, and weight were the major issues. Whether a turbo or charger you will need to intercool . The main advantage with pressure charging  was the area under the curve - torque which would provide more grunt down the straight bits with a loss of drivability through the corners, good when running in a power to weight class. You will need to Apollo or dry sump the engine to gain oil capacity / cooling. 15kgs + to the front axle and look at the final drive ratio in relation to the power characteristics.

I think there is a Rotrex kit available for the K series as fitted to the Elise. You would need to to some re- engineering of the pulley work and brackets to fit in a 7. I briefly looked  at a kit to fit my 1.4 K series wet liner engine, these engines are very strong.