Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sorry, boring tyre question.

Captainbilos

I need to invest in new tyres for my live axle 7. At present I am running on Yoko 032R, which I have been very please with. Unfortunately I cannot get hold of any (even through George Polley) and I am looking at 021r as an alternative.

As I understand from previous posts, people are pretty impressed with 021R's, but what size should I go for?

options are: 185-70-13 or 185-60-13.

I am thinking of trying the 185-70's as my car has a tendency to bottom out on occasions when using 185-60's.

I welcome you views

Thanks

Paul.

I've just bought some 70 profile 21s from polley for both road and track use, and they give quite a bit more clearance than the 60s, about the same as 14" 60s. No bottoming out, even over some speedhumps today.

Of course your suspension will have something to do with it. I personally like the look of high profile rubber on a 7 as well.

Alan

N7CTR 1.8VVC

I'm extremely happy with my 185/70/R13 AO21s, but then previously had CR322s on!

If you change the rolling radius (ie going from 70 - 60) you would in theory, need to recalibrate your speedo and mileometer.

I would personally be quite concerned about the ground clearance of running 60s, that and the fact that the 60s are about 1/2 the price of 70s!

If you've come from 32s you might find the 21s heat up a bit too fast. Even a novice like me had them melting and going a bit bobbly at Brands a few weeks ago...

C

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

yep.. go for the 021s...

185-70-13 are 35ukp +vat each.. so half the price of a 032..

they are quite sticky but will over heat a bit on a hot track day..

but should last at least twice as long as 032s...

at 40quid a corner if you dont like them it not the end of the world

Chris

Now, Beakie, we'll just flip this switch and 60,000 refreshing volts of electricity will surge through your body. Ready?..

See my CAR here

What axle ?

If Ital axle then I would advise against 21Rs, if you are doing track days.

The Ital axle is weak, I had 21Rs when I first got my Ex-Scholarship car...two track days later I was replacing the diff. The problem being oil surge to the outside when going fast around corners, enabled by sticky tyres.

If Ford axle then you should have no problems.