Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel-nuts!

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

I was about to order some new wheel-nuts from Caterham becase after a few years, the chrome has come off and they're pretty rusty now.

However, it got me thinking that they're pretty heavy, unsprung weight, so I'd quite like to get some open nuts which would look groovy and possibly be a few micro-grams lighter

Anyway, I don't know if there is a particular pattern or spec to look for to fit securely on a 13" wheel - what should I be asking for please?

Thanks - Michael.

James Whiting showed me some stupidly light wheel nuts for the Fireblade a couple of weeks back... think they were about £2.50 each. Give him a call to see if they are suitable.

Gonna have to get some in the next couple of weeks for my Fireblade! *cool*

Hmm, Beware some nuts have poor threads. Ali nuts... I would not use them on wide slicks.

The MSA requires steel nuts I believe and scrutineers require to be able to check the depth the stud goes into the nut. Some of the Caterham studs a pretty short and if you swap wheels from the supplied ones check the depth. At least 1.5 X the stud diameter should be into the nut, ideally more.

I put longer studs on and use open race wheel nuts.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

As you say you want to save a few micrograms of weight why not just let the natural process of plating falling off and steel nuts reverting back to the lowest atomic number to achieve your desired goal?, won't look tidy, but you wont have to do anything to ensure the process continues, just jossin', Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Trevor.

J 20.7.2

Have all nuts securing road wheels, excepting those of centre lock type, of steel and in thread contact of a minimum length of 1.5 bolt/stud diameter.

Extended or composite wheel bolts/studs are prohibited. Cars of periods A to D are exempt from this requirement.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here