Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Porsche 911 wanted

ziplobb

Defecting to the dark side: Any BlatChatters know of a Porsche 997.2 coming up for sale anywhere ? Ideally looking for 3.8 C2S , would consider a manual 3.6 - ideally south coast but would travel for the right car at the right price. Message me

I have a 997.2 Carrera S... but sorry, it ain't for sale

(unless you offer me FAR more than it's worth *scratchchin* *whistle* )

Great car (which why I don't wish to part with mine)... reckoned to be the sweet spot of modern 911s (991/992 bit bulky...  996 with its IMS etc a bit fragile... 993 bit pricey...  older stuff, heavy/harder to drive).  Lacks a bit in modern tech - but that's why I've just had an Apple CarPlay head unit installed instead of the PCM.

Good luck in your quest...  there are various 997 and 997.2 facebook group that might be worth joining to extend your search.

I have a 996 (not for sale either) and am surprised at the lack of decent cars for sale. If you strip out the tiptronics, cabriolets and Turbos there isnt much to choose from.

AG2728 on here works for a Porsche indy - might be worth a chat.

Good luck with the search! Please report back!

Regards

Ian

Sold my C2s manual  back in 2009 when i went over to the dark side and bought a 997.2GT3 . I suspect that the C2s hasnt dropped much in value since .

Good luck in the search .

PS Ive got a 6 cylinder GTS Boxster now ( and its a far better car *yikes*

Me too... 997.1 C4S and now a 981S Boxster. Reasons that I prefer it:

911 very fast, but I was always going illegally fast before it felt quick. 911 can only be a coupe (I had a sunroof - which was a waste of time), whereas the Boxster looks better with the roof off and as we know from 7's, roof off means it feels faster. If I'm honest, the power/grip levels of the Boxster are something that I feel my driving ability is up to and the 911, not so much - If the back of the Boxster steps out, it's within my skills/reaction speed to catch it. If the 911 had ever let go on a public highway, I would have been going so fast that it would have been game over. Intriguingly the Boxster arguably has more luggage space - Mrs Goose & I have had a couple of two week jaunts around Europe (mostly mountains and coastal roads) and she likes dresses and hasn't complained about lack of luggage space - we even took picnic chairs! The 911 on the other hand, I had when the children were 10-14 and they could both fit in the back OK and we did have weekends away for the four of us in the car.

The absolute killer feature for me though is the noise the Boxster makes. Mine has the optional switchable sports exhaust and it has 3 different noise settings. Stealth (normal) / Noisy (sport) / Fast (sport +) - noisy means it also gratuitously dumps excess fuel into the headers on the over-run, which comes out the other end as an amazing noise whenever you lift off. I had the switchable exhaust on the 997, but it was previous generation technology and didn't mess around with the ECU in the same way, so was effectively just a vacuum bypass to the secondary back boxes and therefore didn't have the amazing noise repertoire of the Boxster

& no, I have no plans to sell it ever ...

If you NEED to scratch a 911 itch, then 997.2 C2S is the best value one going.

Mark w said PS Ive got a 6 cylinder GTS Boxster now (and its a far better car *yikes* )

I was lent a 981 Boxster S when my 997.2 was being serviced years ago.  When I handed the keys back I declared it to be best car I had ever driven.  As above, compared to the 911, it is lighter, more nimble and can be open-topped without looking ugly.

I did some sums as to what it'd cost to swap my car for one of those...  I realised that to a good approximation (well applying some Man Maths too) I could have a 7 as well as the 911 rather than a Boxster instead of it.

Without that realisation I wouldn't be posting this now! *byebye* 

The six-cylinder cars are attracting a premium...

Can't remember the exact numbers but think at the time, I thought there was a £20k difference between my used 911 and a new Boxster S loaded to my spec...  

My 7, by the time it was on the road, was a cheap lunch shy of £30k... *scratchchin*

My 981 GTS is one of just 75 manual cars . Of those only 5 were fitted with the lowered passive damper set up .I get a call about every 6 months from my dealer trying to buy it in for customers looking for one Last offer was over £40k  , not bad for 6 year old car that was mid 50s  new .

I'm a 911ophile, but can also endorse the 981s. Had a high spec 981 Cayman GTS for two years - brilliant road cars, perfect size for UK roads. Fluent dynamics - some criticise the EPS, but I thought it was excellent.

In fairness, the 981S is almost as good, and I wouldn't underestimate the base 2.7 981.

Slight misgivings that I sold my 981GTS, but currently looking for a 991T.