Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaky rear lights

Glen

This seems a pretty feeble topic - and one that I would look very differently on if I had built my own car - but anyway, I've got this snag with my car and I'd appreciate any comments...

The problem is that the rear lights fill up with water and then the bulbs short and/or blow. With the amount of rain we've been having this is a very frequent occurence.

There is a large hole inside the rear wing where the wiring goes through to the light assembly, but Caterham swear that this is not the cause. They claim that it is due to the very small notches between lens and light unit being blocked with crud and not allowing drainage. My view is that if there wasn't a bloody big hole in the back of the unit it wouldn't fill with water anyway.

Can anyone offer some independent advice, before I go back to Caterham and get all insistent?

I had a similar problem (though not as dramatic). I used the sealer that electricians use for external work. It doesn't actually set hard so there is some 'give' to allow movement of the wires as req. I guess silicone would have a similar effect.

Problem now is that lenses are begining to show signs of distress where the heat from the main rearlight bulb is distorting the cover (& yes, they are the correct values!).

Can't win can you!

I thought the clusters were designed to have a hole at the botom to let (the inevitable) moisture out. If the holes aren't at the bottom your clusters are on the wrong way up and should be switched over.

IMHO sealing the holes up is a task you will never get 100%

Having said that, my lights are playing up at the moment...

Davebo.

C7 CAR.

I had this problem when I first got my Seven (about 6 years ago) and was advised by Len to use silicone sealant along the top and sides and ensure that the slots in the lenses were at the bottom.

No problems since, and no I haven't blocked the 'large hole' through the wheel arch (but it was only just large enough to get the cables through in the first place).

Cheers,

Graham