Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quick Q - steering ‘play’

Richard_420R

Hi - quick check of something that's been bothering me.  When stationary there is a little bit of steering play on my 420R.  A slight movement and 'clonk' before the resistance.  On the move I've never noticed it and it seems the same as any other 7 I've driven but thought I'd check if this was 'normal' or whether I should get it looked at?

cheers, Rich. 

Check the fasteners on the sliding clamp between upper and lower parts of the steering column are tight !! Check the rack clamps are tight. Check the UJ at the bottom of the column is secure and without play in itself. You can check the preload screw on the rack is adjusted properly. You need a big (35mm ?) spanner for the lock nut and a hex hey for the screw. Have to do this with front wheels off the ground so you can check free running of steering front lock to lock.

Agreed with all above.  I check by wiggling the steering wheel and feeling the joints mentioned above.   Normally you can feel movement if you can't see it.   

I suspect it's the quick release steering wheel boss, which to some extent is normal.  I always apply a little grease to the splines for MOT time which helps mask the problem. 

75mm for non rack and pinion

Reminds me of my first car, a Singer 12.  The steering wheel had a 1/3 turn of slack for months, and I had to anticipate the changes in road camber well in advance.  Being very green back then, I thought this was fairly typical for an ancient 1930's motor.  Turned out to be a missing bolt where the Burman box attached to the chassis.

IME, a 7 generally has zero steering play (although it seems a very slight play is acceptable for Q/D wheels).

JV

• Area Representative

Six months in to ownership of my home build R400 & after some resistance I sent the top column & QR coupling back to CC for overhaul by Safety Devices. The radial play reminded me of Mk1 & 2 Land Rovers or old MF tractors !

The coupling & column were returned fully overhauled & slop free. Now seven years later there is  a bit of play apparent, very small in comparison the to first problem. This is easily 'removed' by a smear of grease on the splines & down in to the QR coupling & not removing the wheel too often.