Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre recommendations Roadsport

John Cousins

Hi - thinking about options to replace all 5 tyres on my 2005 Roadsport. (The spare looks fine but at 15 years old is due (overdue) replacement:-)). The other tyres have plenty of tread and are about 7-8 years old. Currently fitted with the now obsolete CR500. 195/45 R15 78V. Would it be wise to replace the tyres given the age? A quick search referenced Uniroyal Rain Expert 3 tyres. They would be for road use only. Thoughts / options please....

I changed from CR500 to Toyo Proxes T1R many years ago. Road use only. Great tread pattern and depth. Long lasting. Clear water very efficiently. Believe T1R may have been replaced by a similar pattern now. Third of the price of CR500

• Area Representative

Anything over 5 years old has served its its time.

I have Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on the back but the fronts were 1° camber out and so the tread had scrubbed off on one side. On the front now are some Hancook (spelling?) tyres as I was unable to obtain replacement Rainsport 3s.

These are 185/70 R13. 

Can't you get Avon ZZS in your wheel size?  I'll be replacing CR500 next spring probably and Ill be sticking with Avon and their now-not-so-new ZZS.  Some years ago, probably 10 ( *yikes* ), prior to CR500, I'd used a range of lower cost alternatives, which at the time included Toyo 888, Yoko 21R, 32  and A539, finally trying a set of part used CR500.  They were a revelation, and I've stuck with them since. Expensive, but unequalled for a road going 7 IMHO.  I hope the ZZS live up to the CR500.    

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/road-legal/performance/zzs

The cr500s on my 2012 Roadsport SV were only 4 or 5 years old and had already hardened to a state the tyre fitter described as "wooden" when he removed one to fix a slow puncture. You will almost certainly notice a big difference with new rubber no matter what you fit. I changed from cr500s to TR1s as all my driving is on the road. They are not really designed for such a light car as the caterham but are a great improvement on the hardened Avons which tramlined badly and were rather too exciting in the wet or cold.