Click here if you are having website access problems ×

front anti roll bar

timb2117

Hello good people hopefully just some quick advice; 2005 sv roadsport dedion with watts.

#1 Front anti roll bar, if I grab it near end where it attaches to suspension arm and move it there is some play, a mm or two (I have noted a bit of a knock front end over bumps) on the Caterham site "front anti roll bar ball" does this live inside the housing and a replacement will fix the play? 

Part #2 rear anti roll bar same clunk and play in both the "cotton reel bushes" that secure the roll bar and in the linkage that attaches it to the hub, Q? how do I know if it is metric or not to buy from Caterham site?

Thanks for your time. 

• Area Representative

Don't forget to check the front bushes as well as the play in the balls (woops!) is not the whole story. I had a similar experience of play that would not go away. Two sets of bushes & ball ends later I had to change one mounting bracket as it was fractionally 'oversize' for the bush. 

The Westbury chassis is far stiffer than the Nearn era Arch chassis so I believe that this reduction in compliance means that secondary mechanical components such as anti roll bar bushes, balls & drop links absorb far more stress. So they wear out!

Yup thanks for the nudge- I am changing bushes on front and rear anti roll bar and at the rear the linkages too, on advice from an engineer friend I am going to go rose joint the rear linkages too as it would seem to be a bit more robust, the car is 15 years old and showing a lot of play / knocks and bangs so should gradually reno into silence. Ill look into redline too thanks.