Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help with Exhaust Silencer Please

Bleaky

Hello all,

My SLR is loud!  

Before lockdown, I had it noise tested at Goodwood, in the hope of doing some trackdays.  It made c. 105(+)dB, so is too loud for most tracks.  It's on roller barrel throttle bodies.

I've taken the silencer off and replaced the baffle and repacked it and am in the process of putting it back on the car.

There was no exhaust paste sealing the manifold to the exhaust at the 4 into 1 union.  Should there be?  When I put it back on the car, it was blowing at this union- meaning I could feel the exhaust 'draft' around the union.

Should I use exhaust sealing paste here?  Will it help quieten it?  I'm reluctant to use paste as it will make it much harder to disassemble in future.

All advice is welcome!

Many thanks.

Dave

Use exhaust silicone as opposed to paste, lambda sensor safe high temp copper stuff such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Permatex-Copper-Silicone-Gasket-81878/dp/B0002UEOPA (should be able to find it in a motor factors cheaper than this Amazon listing, though).

I've used it on all my exhaust connections from the 4-1 to the silencer, it is flexible and doesn't harden like the paste, so removal is easy to do a re-pack.