Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Driveshaft - Exploded Diagram

Tazio

Does anyone have an exploded diagram for the later type driveshafts?, one of my CV joints is making a noise, and it looks like I'll have to remove the clip and look under the cover so to speak, but I want to see what I am taking on first..

The worrying thing is that it appears that neither Redline nor CC have any service parts for these items, nor do either of them have any new driveshafts for sale.

So you SV guys, head over to ebay, there are 3 for sale to fit yours.

My '98 car has trilobe joints - did they change size??

It is a worry that they seem to be coming non-serviceable. Stretchy / glue together boots solve the obvious issue but anything more serious is a bit of an unknown!

Will we need to convert to the different type of sierra joints or go BMW?

I did wonder why the trilobe joints were selected - do they allow greater movement?

Ian

I believe that as a complete assembly, they are Caterham specific and CC only sell it hem as a full unit.

Depends which bit you need. ie. The shaft. the joint, just the roller bearing races, or the whole thing.

they go under many guises I think Tripode is the GKN name, they offer less articulation than a conventional 6 ball CV, they also don't offer true constant velocity but, offer plunge and are more durable.

The roller assemblies can be obtained and since boots are likely to be Sierra (though I cannot confirm this).

Just a note these DO NOT use normal moly CV grease, they are usually supplied with a light coloured grease as the former due to its constituants (graphite) can clog the needle rollers which buggers their operation.

It's not the correct product though, used to do a lot of PSA fleet cars which seems to shred inner boots on a seemingly weekly basis due to crap rubber boots at the time and the OE grease was specifically coloured near white in order the techs used the correct stuff, we had several inner joints fail having being incorrectly filled with moly as the graphite jams the needles then the rollers which then drag in the pot.

Obviously its worse on a FWD as the angles involved are greater and more frequent.

Most techs assume all 'CV' joints are the same and stuff them full of moly......

I once spoke to these people, Bailey Morris Ltd at the Historic Sports Car show. At the time I was sorting out some drive shaft issues.In the end I sorted things out myself. However the person I spoke to said they could sort out most CV and drive shaft issues on most cars. www.baileymorris.co.uk.