Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reinforced live axle

Captainbilos

If by reinforced you mean braced then my belief is that once you get into the 130bhp mode then the standard axle casing is likely to twist and you will end up with stress cracks. This is prevented/reduced by welding a plate accross the axle from one side to the other. Tony Weals book goes into some detail on this subject. I am aware of one very recent case where the axle was not braced and was handling in excess of 180bhp with resulting cracks. I also believe that the Ford axle is somewhat stronger than the Leyland type.

I think the reinforcing in the previous thread actually referred to stronger half-shafts, which sometimes have a habit of shearing,

particularly so under the shock loadings experienced during race conditions. I put 190 Bhp through mine and always try to apply the power smoothly to avoid breakages. So far (he says reaching for the nearest piece of wood)the axle (Ital) has been ok but I am aware of the possible future requirement for a Ford jobby.

Hope this helps

Brent

The beefed up axles were for race cars only I believe.

All of the Caterham Live (Ital) axles have the brace welded on as the Ital vans they come off don't put as much torque through the axle.

As I was told it, the beefing up of the race axles consisted of uprated half shafts inside the axle and tack welding the bearings onto the shafts to reduce the chance of shearing.

I am also given to understand that the supply of these is dwindling.

Davebo

C7 CAR