Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator flushing

TomB

Ahead of changing from pink OAT to blue EG coolant for my new Radtec, I’m trying to clean out the coolant system. I think I’ve probably neglected to flush and clean out with each coolant change as it’s filthy and taking some doing. Despite doing three fill up, run to temperature and drain down with tap water, it’s still coming out mucky and pink.

Do the radiator flush additives on the high street do anything, should I run one through the system? Any issues with using it on a new radiator? 

Something like this https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-and-pressure-gauges/holts-speedflush-250ml-741462.html

Thanks to advice from Dave Gemzoe, I have just returned from the garage with a much cleaner looking coolant flush. I took the bypass hose, attached the hose pipe to it with a jubilee clip and ran the hose through it. The flow was turned up reasonably high looking at the flow out of the radiator, it has done the job. I think this has flushed the engine behind the stat, up through the block and out of the top hose/ rear of the block. 

I have filled with water again, and plan to run up to temperature tomorrow and repeat which should do it.