Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mirrors

Jeff210R

Hi Guys

I would be very interested in any views, opinions, info on side mirrors which open with the "doors" on my SV and stay in place when doors are off (if such a  thing exists?!). I bought the official kit to fix the mirrors to the screen frame which is fine with no doors, but when they're on makes fully opening the doors impossible and thus getting in and out becomes a contortion!

Jeff

IMG_0663.thumb.JPG.aad18d019a8d7db5d90b1b93b79fa4a3.JPG IMG_0657.thumb.JPG.d7e688d373a8463fcef1ef807b635b61.JPG IMG_0659.thumb.JPG.4b5591582269886602b1fc974fa3d735.JPG

Hi Jeff,

I had exactly the same issues with the std mirrors. My solution was to buy the "Eccles" mounts and a set of Car Builder Solutions "Large Carbon Effect 260mm convex mirrors" Part number M08CA. I did not want "carbon effect" so repainted to match the car. I'm very happy with the results and being convex and slightly higher, the rear view is greatly improved. The mounting holes of the mirrors are slightly different to the Eccles brackets but easily modified. Obviously doesn't solve the door off option, but I have not seen anything that does.

Pete

Really don't understand the perceived 'problem' with getting in and out of the car without the doors opened 180 degrees on to the bonnet. Have had mirrors mounted on the stanchions for over 10 years. Certainly not young, small or particularly flexible.

This mirror business is a personal thing. I agree, it is perfectly possible to get in and out with the IVA mounts on the screen supports.

However, I do find that I will open the passenger door completely to help my wife and daughters get in and out and to adjust their belts, so the ability to open the door 180 degrees can be helpful too.

Driving a Seven with screen and no doors is just unpleasant at anything over 50 mph, so I don't feel the need to have mirrors other than those mounted on my doors. Of course, if you go aero, that is another story altogether *biggrin*

Duncan

I don't have much vibration from my door mirrors since I made some changes. I bought screen bolt retaining brackets which firmed up the whole screen a lot. I then made supports for some Lucas style convex mirrors that are lighter than standard, and finally changing to polycarbonate for the top half of the doors made the mirrors even more stable.

I also suspect that having an S3 rather than SV with longer doors helps.

Not sure if this could be a solution but what about sourcing a couple of small windscreen mirrors and fitting them somehow to the top left and right of the windscreen. Also I have seen a picture of a racing caterham with a continuous mirror all the way across the screen. 

Regards.Bill.