Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

S3 rear disc replacement

John Cousins

Hi - I am in the process of changing the rear  discs on my 2005 S3 Roadsport. I have loosened the hub nuts and detached the floating portion of the caliper. I assume if I now remove the two bolts securing the fixed portion of the caliper to the De Dion ear I will be able to remove the rear disc/flange assembly? Any feedback / guidance welcome! Thanks. 

Have you heard the trick to undoing these by using a tyre/ wheel? You bolt the wheel to the hub, flip it over so the rear side of the disc facing up. Then you kneel on the tyre with you socket and breaker bar, putting your weight through the bolt to help keep it located, then undo the bolt. Roberts your mother brother. 

Re #1:

I assume if I now remove the two bolts securing the fixed portion of the caliper to the De Dion ear I will be able to remove the rear disc/flange assembly?

Yes, once you've removed the hub nut.  And there'll be a spacer per bolt between the ear and the calliper body.

JV

Thanks again for the feedback. The first disc / flange is off the car. I have a 9/16 hex shallow AF socket at the ready. It fits very snuggly with new new bolt heads. I will follow the advice about attaching the unit to the wheel and applying weight over the socket while using the breaker bar.