Click here if you are having website access problems ×

seats

julians

Does anyone know which of the range of seats that demon tweeks sell fit in a caterham, or does anyone have any suggestions to a good seat for a caterham, criteria as follows ;- must offer good lateral support, must be lighter than standard leather ones.

They don't mention any dimensions, so I assume that they all would fit.

Does anyone know if I am likely to need to make any alterations to the existing seat mounts (I have the standard leather ones at the mo, but they dont give enough lateral support when on track days, and they sit me too high up)

Julian,

AKAIK none of the seats in DT will fit. The footwell of a non-SV Caterham is 16 inches. You've got a number of options though.

Race seats - Demon Thieves have some on the Caterham pages (inlcuing the lurvely R500 ones)

Foam seats - Get a kit, get some tins or get someone (like Arrowstar) to do it for you. Not terribly pretty for a road car but, done well, grip like a limpet.

Aftermarket seats - like from the Europa kit car catalogue.

Seat Pad - A vinyl covered foam pad which folds in the middle and attaches via studs. Not a lot of lateral support for a stick insect, but OK for a lardy like me.

Davebo

C7 CAR

Edited by - davebo on 18 Dec 2000 12:45:46

They don't mention any dimensions, so I assume that they all would fit.

What a blissful way to approach the world smile.gif.

The R500 seats (or similar non-carbon/kevlar) can go on the adjuster bracket or be bolted in a fixed position. These are very good seats although some effort needs to be taken to get them reclined to an approriate angle. If the complaint about the height of the leather seat base is the typical complaint from the taller driver then you may have trouble keeping your head below the roll over bar, when sat too upright.

One of my locals has installed a set of SLR500 seats. There are two types, fibreglass and Carbon/Kevlar. Obviously the latter are more expensive. The former are sold by DTs at about 300 quid. I think only Caterham supply the latter ones.

My local disguarded the standard adjustable seat runners that are intended to support his Carbon seats because he couldn't get the seats reclined enough and one bracket weighed more than both seats.

He fabricated a pair of brackets from Aluminium and I have to say I have not felt as comfortable in a car as I did when I sat in his. The reclined position was perfect and led to an equally perfect under-thigh support. My only previous experience of those seats was in their standard implementation --> Bolt upright and no under-thigh support. Not comfortable at all, and I wonder whether the integrated headrest would be too close when you wear a helmet.

"Bolt upright and no under-thigh support" - exactly how I felt when I sat in an R500. I felt as though I was falling forwards. By simply adopting a Gallic expression and sweating profusely I could have done an excellent (if static) impersonation of Francois Delecour.

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 19 Dec 2000 16:54:58