Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Cooler - Oil Change

TANGO7

I have recently acquired a Crossflow Caterham with an oil cooler fitted. (It is fitted behind the radiator at the top on the nearside). 

Are there any special procedures which need to be followed during an oil change? (e.g. how to ensure old oil is drained from the cooler/hoses and how to ensure it is satisfactorily re filled). 

• Area Representative

IMO there is probably not enough oil contained in the oil cooler to worry about. Also disturbing long term hose connections could create problems.

If you wish a you could use a flushing oil prior to the oil change. But of course that increase the work (drain, fill, drain, fill) & in itself could produce problems from nowhere for such a venerable engine as a Crossflow..........

Connections on this model are usually the steel BSP which shouldn't present and sealing issues and access to them is pretty good.

Since its new to you worth washing it and the holes out also the fins in the cooler too and check that you have a thermostat fitted in the take off under the filter - otherwise worthwhile updating this to one which does.

I've found with my dry sump R400D that oil from the cooler and nooks and crannies in the sump itself can be better drained by lifting the front of the car alternating on the left and right side after the bulk of the oil has drained. I typically get about 0.5 of a litre more out during an oil change after doing this. On the dry sump I remove the finger filter cover on the left side to drain the oil.