Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlight Dipped and Main Beam Problems

goodcoffeecode

My 1992 1400 Supersport had the same problem you mentioned in #1 a few years ago and it turned out to be the switch - your switch looks pretty similar from a dashboard view.

I popped the switch out and disconnected the white wire plastic holder at back - then dismantled the switch (levered the tabs at side with a flat blade screwdriver and then pulled apart) and it was crud (green oxidisation) on the metal copper strip - cleaned up and put switch back together and refitted and hey presto everything worked - 10 min job - switch is a very simple affair just a copper strip, slider and copper contact points

No, but you can work it out by either:

1. Identifying the colours of the wires connected to each terminal, or
  2. LABELLING THE CURRENT CONNECTIONS CAREFULLY then disconnecting everything, switching your multimeter to resistance or continuity and testing which terminals are connected to each other as you select the switch positions. The terminal that's always connected to one or other of the others is the input terminal.

Jonathan

PS: Thanks, John.

PPS: I rotated my switch 180° from the way it came from the factory. Seemed more natural.

I suspect you will find the issue is in the three way switch, as the third position is only supplying a low current to the relay then any resistance on those contacts will easily kill current flow. 

SUCCESS!!! *driving*

It was the relay.

I switched 2 identical relays and the lights worked as expected. Switched them back again (to rule out a random seating issue) and they failed again.

Thank you all SOOOOO much for all your help. I've learnt a ton of stuff and had fun doing it. I think if this had happened on my old 911, I'd be bricking it!

Where's the best place to source new relays? Is this the correct replacement?

Relay1.jpg.be84278e61e35e52a57e87991ced036e.jpg

Relay2.jpg.ff7ede41fa5e7d32b467891896273284.jpg

Well done!  A good bit of detective work.

Do you happen to know which of the 3 pins on the dip switch should be receiving the voltage (top, middle or bottom)?

For the benefit of others who may happen across this thread, it's the middle one.  These are the connections:

R400Ddipswitch_annotated.jpg.f2788ce3dc65766b30991a4694c252aa.jpg

Main beam - blue/white (UW)
12v supply - blue (U)
Dipped beam - blue/red (UR)

This switch is in the "dipped" position.

JV