Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More power for 1.6K please

R500 CYA

Can someone recommend a suitable company for me to talk too about squeezing a bit more from my 140hp 1.6K

I'd like about 165hp.

Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers,

Nick

ps. I'm skint and my wife isn't very understanding (though this is irrelevant)

Could try :

QED

Sprint Racing

Minister

Arrowstar

Mota build

Roger King

Aldon automotive

Probably cost more than £2500

OR just buy a set of QED dirct to head throttle bodies , Emerald M3DK ECU and a set of mild cams from Piper on std head should make about 150 - 160 bhp .... dont forget that much of the gain will be above 5500 rpm .

Cost = £1500 fit yourself over a weekend and get it mapped .

Or if your no good with spanners - buy someone elses engine ( cheers Rob ! )

Take a look at the latest copy of Car and car conversions ( CCC ) may provide you with some insperation .

Take a look a Dave Andrews web site - The K Series engine , first ..... dave is the *god* of K series .

Dave

If you're using the standard head with hydraulic tappets & you're not intending to rev beyond 7600 rpm then standard bottom end will do. Caterham reckon OK to 8000 rpm. Fitting throttle bodies, warm cams, & using a programmable ECU will produce 155 ish BHP from 1.6k. Emerald ECU is flavour of the month. Next stage involves bigger valves & porting the head. Beyond this then invest in a stonger bottom end. If you do nothing else this W/E then please visit Dave Andrews web site: http://members.aol.com/DVAndrews

Mick

I ran all year with standard pistons, liners and bottom end in my 1.6k. The engine was producing 186bhp at 7800 and 132 lbft 6600. The head was fitted with 29.5 inlet and 26 exhaust valves, piper 740 cams with solid lifers. QED direct to head Throttle bodies and Emerald M3DK ECU.

I have recently stripped the engine and found all to be still in perfect condition.

I recon the standard 1.6 bottom end can stand up to 200 bhp and 8000 rpm.

The question are you brave enough to try it?????

> I recon the standard 1.6 bottom end can stand up to 200 bhp and 8000 rpm.

I would agree, but with the caveat that serious race track usage may expose the weakness of the pistons, and that can get expensive.

I ran a 1.6K with about 180BHP and a nominal 8000rpm limit for a season of hillclimbing and everything was perfect when it was stripped. However a few laps of Goodwood where you are sustaining 7500rpm or more for significant periods might have been a different story.

So for completeness add UKP500 up front for a set of forged pistons.

Paul