Click here if you are having website access problems ×

upgrade sound and power with another silencer

paisesmediterraneos

Hello, I have a 2003 1.6 k series Roadsport EU3, built for the Spanish market.The exhaust system of my car has 4 pieces:

-Exhaust manifold/collector with the first lambda sensor

-Catalyst with the second lambda sensor

-Silencer with rear exit

-final tube (almost straight). The car had from factory also a rear silencer (under tank), but was removed and replaced for a straight final tube.

I would like to know if it's possible to change the silencer for another one with better sound and giving more power to the car (without changing the manifold/collector and catalyst that the car has from factory). And if it's possible, wich one do you recommend?.

As the silencer has no lambda sensor (they are in the collector and the catalyst), I think it won´t affect to the ECU and the smokes at the MOT test (in Spain called ITV), am I right or will it affect?.

Regards, David.

As the silencer has no lambda sensor (they are in the collector and the catalyst), I think it won´t affect to the ECU and the smokes at the MOT test (in Spain called ITV), am I right or will it affect?.

What are the test limits for emissions, and your most recent values?

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Do you require a catalyst for the Spanish MoT or as you alluded to is the emissions just a 'smoke test'?

If you do not need the catalyst then I would imagine with a Lambda sensor further up the exhaust system that would be enough. But do not quote me.

You should be able to purchase a cat bypass pipe from somewhere in the UK. Caterham? If not a local exhaust company who does bespoke jobs may be able to. They could also manufacture a larger diameter exhaust with larger exit.

In the UK we have Raceco & Powerspeed  for bespoke stainless steel or titanium exhausts & systems but other companies are available.

I do believe though that there is a restriction on how large the exhaust & outlet diameter can be in relation to the engine output. It is all to do with back pressure & flow.

But I am sure someone will be along soon with all the info......... 

• Area Representative

Try a differnt ECU - Emerald or there is someone in the UK that can reprogramme a K srs ECU for better performance. Sorry cannot remember who but someone may be along shortlyy to refresh my memory......

The trouble is both options will involve a rolling road for getting the programme & performance correct.

When I wrote "upgrade sound" I wanted to say more sports sound; I had some years ago a Lotus Elise S1 and I changed the original exhaust for a Larini exhaust, I had more power and the noise was much better, the original exhaust was very quieter and not sports sound.

The original exhaust that my car has for the homologation in 2003 at Spain is very quiet.

The original exhaust that my car has for the homologation in 2003 at Spain is very quiet.

IMHO that's how it should be.

Being one of the most manic weight watchers on this forum I have added around 13kgs of noise reducing stuff although adding weight really hurts!

....blimey they must be some really fancy lead filled ear plugs........  [Rofl]  

You obviously don't know how hard it is to find all those damn microphones in the village near the racetrack and fill them with earplugs - and how many it takes!