Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Widetrack fitting question

kart

Having received the wide-track conversion kit from Caterham, with the standard instructions (namely none), one side has gone together quite smoothly.  However I have a quandary my kit contains two of these tophat spacers https://caterhamparts.co.uk/fixings/7164-tophat-wishbone.html but they don't seem to be mentioned in any of the assembly guides I can find.  Conversely the assembly guide mentions a "special turned down nyloc nut", for holding the bottom of the front upright, which I don't seem to have in my kit, and can't find on the Caterham parts site.  I feel the two things might be related but does anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance.

Alec

• Area Representative

The top hat spacer is fitted to the lower threaded end of the upright. Interposed between the upright & lower wishbone with the waisted end downwards (from what I can recall). That is why you need the turned down nyloc to accommodate the remaining thread.

Pity as you will have to disassemble the completed side.

• Area Representative

Ah now it all becomes clear but the standard spacer is still included to confuse the issue. The top hat spacer is for a smaller ID lower spherical bearing?

So kart have you the smaller ID new bearing or older larger ID bearing? 

Remember with any kit of parts from Caterham there are always some left over!

I am sure there is an EU (now UK) directive about instructions to protect the consumer from any danger of incorrect assembly but Caterham can probably wiggle out of this one.

Remember with any kit of parts from Caterham there are always some left over!

Oh so true!  I still have two large-ish polybags of surplus bits from my two builds.  And very handy they are, too, as the range is amazing: bolts, nuts, washers, P-clips, grommets, rivets, ...

JV

...seems they're not too easy to come by...?

WNs are internal CC documents, intended for production and servicing staff.  From time to time, one escapes into the L7C world, usually when CC send it to an owner.  Several of us have a selection, but probably the best club source is JK above (#12).

As a club, we've asked CC on several occasions whether they would be willing for us to make WNs available on our website (and behind the membership paywall, if necessary).  I'm sorry to say that, so far, CC have been unwilling to help.

JV