Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Type 9 Gearbox Question

DavidC

Hi,

I've just bought a Type 9 box with the ratios I want, and I've taken the Westfield bellhousing out of the box (yes, I'm building a we5tfield, sorry) to start joining the two.

The problem is that this box has a plate below the input shaft with 3 blue bolts in it. There is no recess in the bellhousing for this to fit. My other T9 does not have this but it's a lot older, leakier and has the wrong ratios.

The mystery (to me) plate is show in these 2 photos:

http://www.dcane.dsl.pipex.com/build_pages/build_pics/15-03-2003/gearbox_plate1.jpg

http://www.dcane.dsl.pipex.com/build_pages/build_pics/15-03-2003/gearbox_plate2.jpg

Can someone on here enlighten me as to whether it's safe for me to remove this plate and blank off the holes?

Do the holes go all the way through the casing or are they just part of the way?

What is it there for, and if It has to stay what are my Bellhousing options?

Cheers

David C

Edited by - DavidC on 15 Mar 2003 14:01:10

The plate covers and, I think supports, the end of the layshaft. In the older boxes there's no cover as you say, the layshaft just fits into a hole in the end of the gearbox casing, if you look at your old gearbox you'll see it sitting flush with the casing.

If the cover supports the end of the layshaft then removing the cover will mean the box won't stay together, if it just covers it then I guess it will. Take the cover off and see if the end of the layshaft sits flush with the gearbox casing like on your older box. If it does then you're OK, if it sticks out and into a recess in the cover then you're not. As the cover is an improvement though better to run with it if you can, so that means a bellhousing change.

There needs to be a cast in hole in the bellhousing to allow this cover to fit in. Some manufacturers sell two types of bellhosuing one with the hole and one without. Others just sell the one with the hole as it will fit both design of gearboxes. You've got the wrong one.

I had the opposite, a hole in the bellhousing for the cover and an old gearbox with no cover. That was seriously bad news as the layshaft wasn't restrained by anything, it worked it's way out of the gearbox into the hole in the bellhousing. Eventually the other end of the layshaft came out of the casing at the other end and was then unsupported and all the gears came out of mesh, all very messy.

The part you refer to is a spigot on which a caged roller bearing fits....there is no layshaft , as on early boxes.You cannot therefore remove it,so its a case of either machine the bellhousing to accept it ( as vx caterham spec ) or flog it and buy an earlier box.

AJC - are you sure? The bit I'm talking about (and I hope the bit DavidC is asking about) is only about 5-8mm thick, too thin to house a roller bearing. Plus the layshaft (and the type 9, early or late, must have a layshaft) doesn't spin, it's captive in the gearbox casing and the gears spin on the layshaft so why would it sit in a bearing itself? The layshaft can't spin as the other end (at the back of the gearbox) is machined half away and sits into a half circle recess in the casing.

If you look at http://pub.se7ens.net/pictures/closeups/drivetrain/GearboxID.jpg

(must find out how to make them clickable....) you can see the beastie on the bottom line of pictures, early has no cover, late scorpio has the cover.

David

Try checking with Westfield, they may have a different bellhousing to suit the T9 gearbox. I think they use the later MT75 gearbox now so the bellhousing may be for that. Alternatively give Phil Stewart a ring at Road and Race Transmissions on 01959 525105. He is very helpful and might be able to help you out.

Nick