Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Who built the VHPD engine for Caterham?

CageyH

"The basic vhpd engine (slr type) would have come from PTP I imagine as they did them for everyone.

Minister built r500 k series engines as I understand, might be wrong. "

My R400 K ( the later derivative of the VHPD ) was built by Minister .~It failed after 300 miles from new .

There then proceeded to be a three way ( or four if you include me !) argument between Caterham , Minister and PTP . The problem was the head was supply only by PTP who were willing to supply a replacement FOC but not pay for the rebuild as they had only supplied a part and felt their liability ended there .Minister didnt want to pay for the rebuild as they had done nothing wrong , just been supplied with faulty parts and Caterham didnt want to pay for it as they had " ordered " a complete engine from Minister ......

Eventually after me complaining for literally weeks the engine was rebuilt and ran faultlessly for the next 10 years until  i sold the car . I had a feeling at the time that Caterham had rebuilt it not Minister , who knows , but once the faulty casting was swapped out all was fine  

• Leadership Team

My memory of the VHPD is that the early ones were built by Janspeed (including for some Elise installs), then later by PTP (who had originally developed the MS head using a combination of K16 and VVC castings) then later again were built by Caterham themselves.

I don't think Minister were involved in the VHPD, they built the sealed 1400SS race engines and later the R500.

This is from discussions with various people "in the know" over the last 20 years ... although I could have got it all completely wrong.