Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel Weights

Se7enBTCC

Morning all,

Recently had two new rears fitted and on the first drive the new wheel weights were (dramatically) ripped off, I'm presuming the fitter put weights on that were too thick and they caught the car when rotating.  Anyone got any advice, it's made no difference to the balance?

Thanks

Morning.

There's quite a lot in the archives on this for various wheel and suspension combinations, and how to get round it. Let us know if you can't find it.

Any witness marks on adjacent bits with low clearance? What was the drama? :-)

... it's made no difference to the balance?

I don't know what I'd do if I'd been through the full range of speeds and couldn't detect any problems...

Jonathan

• Support Team

On rear wheels, avoid putting weights on the very inboard part of the inner rim as the de-dion will rip them off. On the fronts, avoid putting weights on the outboard part of the inner rim as the brake calipers will rip them off - at least with big brakes this is the case.

• Area Representative

There is a particular position for weights on front & rear wheels, especially 13" & 8J (rears) as clearance is critical.

Front: Positioned to avoid the brake caliper. Critical with four pots.

Rear:  Positioned to avoid de Dion ear if 8J.  6J & 8J - positioned also to avoid brake caliper.

Best to take a pic of original weight position before the tyre change or verbally brief the fitter as to where you want the weights.

And yes they will gey knocked off if wrongly positioned!

Thanks all, the new weights made a horrific sound against the de dion before flying off and hitting the body.  Unfortunately I now dont have any (or any idea where they were) so if anyone can share a photo of where they should go that would be helpful?  I'll then take the wheels back to the fitter.

Where are you? I have my own wheel balancer (and T/C) and lots of adhesive weights. Be happy to do them for you, I’m in Norfolk. 

If not, you need 40/45mm from the rim inner edge to the nearest part of the weight to clear the ears. 

Edited to add: losing the weights must have made a difference, even if you can’t feel it, the tyres will.