Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swiss modification approvals Nitrons.

anthonym

This is a follow on from my thread about Nitrons.

As ever once understood the process makes some sense.

I do not yet know whether the certificate from Nitron is also a requirement, but today it has been made clear we need only installation control (that means check) by a local garage

Bonjour Anthony,
Oui vous pouvez faire valider par un garage valaisan qui n’a pas fait le montage mais qui l’a contrôlé.

Meilleures salutations

that says a local county garage has only to report it has checked the installation of the Nitrons and found it to be ok. Great news, and my garage is very happy too. This means the work by PGM will be accepted without having to be done over again which was the initial Swiss response, based on PGM not being Swiss.

It is truly all about duties,  laws and regulations here in never ending detail.

anthony

• Area Representative
Anthony

Do you know why Fredy Kumschick dors not fit the standard Caterham Cars unit? I liked the Kumschick approach sufficiently to use three separate lights on GJT. IF it was because of their shockingly bad quality, then the JAL units will be OK, if for design/appearance reasons, you may hit a problem.

To this date JAL LED lights have passed every MOT and IVA test that I know of. The consensus being that they are undeniably safer than the standard lights and safety is the primary concern with all such examinations. 

Here is a report from one of my customers that questioned an IVA examiner about my LED lights. He stated the following:

LED rear Turn/Brake lights with clear or coloured lenses should pass.
LED Reverse light should pass.
LED Fog *with Caterham E11 B1* marked coloured lens should pass. A clear lens (e.g. a reverse light lens, is not acceptable) (the IVA requirements on the fog lamp are different, i.e. tighter, from the reverse light).

I hope this helps.

Buds

There's no question of them no being brighter, the question was relating to their legality, in particular for the somewhat pedantic Swiss regulations that Anthony is currently wading through

An MOT would not inspect this, they look for operation and white light showing to the rear, neither would IVA as they only inspect the marking on the lens unit which is not made by you.

Changing the light source behind a lens affect the approval for the whole light unit, even changing the original type of e marked bulb for another e marked bulb affects this for instance replacing filament bulbs with LED.

The whole unit has to be subjected to the various tests in order to be correctly e marked, which I've no doubt is a costly and lengthy process and AFAIK yours aren't yet...?

Many alternative lights are marketed for 'show use' or for off road use only' in order to make buyers aware.

"wading" - I like that , nicely put.

Changing the light source behind a lens affects the approval for the whole light unit, even changing the original type of e marked bulb for another e marked bulb affects this for instance replacing filament bulbs with LED.

yes exactly I had a Mondeo fail some years ago for putting an LED side light bulb.