Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which 4 point harnesses?

davestevenson

I currently have the Caterham "push button" 4 point harnesses - probably the 2007 equiavalent of https://caterhamparts.co.uk/seatbelts-harnesses/1388-seatbelt-4-point-harness-black.html

They sit very wide on my wife and kids' shoulders, so I'm looking to swap out for the racing twist release 4 point harness in the hope that having the shoulder straps come to the middle rather than 6" apart will bring it in slightly on the shoulders too.

I had previously been looking at the Titon harnesses, but they no longer make them. Caterham do https://caterhamparts.co.uk/seatbelts-harnesses/1193-seatbelt-4-point-quick-release-blue.html, but only appear to have the buckle strap one way round.

So who should one go to to get a left and right handed pair of 4 point harnesses (preferably in blue)? And what is the current recommendation between pulling up vs pulling down to adjust? It's with cloth seats if it makes a difference.

Thanks John.

Caterham do list the black version with both LH and RH variants, but not the blue ones (two guesses what colour my car is!). In typical Caterham fashion both the black ones are out of stock too.

If they will fully undo to remount then that is great. Although doesn't it need a change to the buckle to retain the opposite waist strap, otherwise the release levers will be pointing in the opposite directions? The pictures of the black version don't help as they are identical! It looks like the 6 point release lever points sideways, which would be one (expensive) option.

I guess the simplest thing is to drop Caterham a line and ask the question. I know from old threads that Titon were very accomodating in changing sides and pull up/down to tighten, but that's not much use now they don't make them :-(

<< (I know that for racing the buckle will be on the crotch strap) >>

Not necessarily... I've always found the most comfortable 6-point belt is the so-called "D-ring" type, which also gives you the option of wearing it as a 4-point if you wish (and the tails of the crutch straps have no buckles, just a loop, so they easily tuck out of the way). The 5/6-point type with the QR unit in the crutch strap (like an old Luke belt I had - from Caterham) won't let you do that.

However, my car has the original style welded-on lugs for mounting the seats at the rear of the cockpit (but unused in my case - foamed-in moulded seat) which are ideal for attached the crutch straps to.

QR buckles definitely on the inboard side, or they'll clatter over the cockpit sides at some point and damage the paintwork.

I found "pull down to adjust" for the waist straps to be an absolute disaster of inconvenience. However, some here have expressed a preference for that arrangement (though I could, honestly, never work out why). That may vary depending on your particular seat, slots, cut-outs etc.

I found all of my preferred features on Willans harnesses (from memory, I think they were ordered and made via James Whiting).

• Leadership Team

The risk of submarining can be minimised with a 4-point by ensuring that the lower (lap) straps are fitted and tightened first, as low as possible across the pelvic area,  before moving on to the shoulder straps.  (I always use 6-point on track but often use them as 4-pointers, correctly adjusted, on road).

You might want to try Luke/Corbeau as a source; I have just purchased a set which are Caterham specific with centre-mounted buckle strap and 'pull up to tighten' lap straps, quick release buckle (turn) in red, three inch width shoulder straps and two inch lap straps.  All fixings (bolts, washers, shouldered collars, etc) were included.  Mine were in black but I think they offer different colours.  The contact there is Steve and he can be contacted on:   steve@corbeau-seats.com

James

From previous discussions:

• Yes, Titon have withdrawn.
  • All of the major suppliers will make them the way round you want, even if that isn't advertised.

My current Titon are pull down. In theory I'd prefer pull up but on my previous factory Lukes that placed the adjuster just behind the edge of the seat and it didn't move easily.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

How does a 6 point harness works with the traditional Caterham seat?

it’s common for the crotch straps to be fixed to the brackets at the bottom of the seat back bulkhead, and simply pass through the slot between the seat base and back.  

John, it doesn't seem to ever be close to the CJs, I don't even know the crotch strap is there when driving the car or under heavy braking. I think it's because the hole is slightly forwards at about the same place as the Tillets. I can't slide forward because of the side belts and shoulder belts which are held in place by the crotch strap. I like the buckle on the crotch strap too and feel properly held in with the 6-point.