Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DRL approvals for Swiss, same as EU I think. Solved I think. See msg 20

anthonym

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r087r2e.pdf

Instructed to remove my DRLs because they are not approved by Switzerland. He mentioned EU regs.

I think they mean the above linked doc from UNECE. 

He spent ages searching the lenses in detail. Was he looking for an E mark? 

They never explain anything. We are supposed to know, or rather be paying a garage that does, so no sympathy can be expected.. or mercy.

I am thinking of these instead: 

https://www.hoelzle.ch/shop/bilder/pdf/tagfahrleuchten_f.pdf

Item FBRL0398  (much cheaper on Amazon)

Anthony

• Area Representative
I'm sorry but I'm not going to read the document but I have little sympathy with daylight running lights.

Every driver should assess for themselves whether lights are required. If lights ARE required then they should show rear as well as front.

It is probably appropriate now to define suitable parameters for car lighting by lumens both minima and maxima not by wattage.

Oh dear, Anthony.  Everything you report to us about Switzerland and motoring regs make it sound like a place (for motorists, at least) to avoid.

Have you consulted CC on what (if any) regs they have to meet on cars exported to Europe?  (I'm assuming they would supply DRLs to that market?)

Every driver should assess for themselves whether lights are required.

Difficult to argue with the spirit of that, except to point out that many road users can't or won't do it, especially in broad daylight.  "Lights? What lights?  It's not dark, is it?"

Personally, I'd rather opt for a failsafe system that avoids the need for assessment. 

JV

• Area Representative
JV

I take your point that many drivers don't think.

My secondary point is that daylight running units only show at the front and I think should show front and rear. I suggest traditional "side" lights are a better choice.

On several cars they are also too bright, making it uncomfortable for oncoming drivers who are NOT in soft roader types.

My secondary point is that daylight running units only show at the front and I think should show front and rear. I suggest traditional "side" lights are a better choice.

I agree with the first part.  But while the standard rear "side" lights are OK intensity-wise, I think the front ones are just too feeble for anything other than parking.   Maybe front DRLs plus rear "side" lights would be a good way forward?

...soft roader types.

I don't understand that bit.  Is it an autocorrect?

JV

I found some E marked in my garage this morning, noted the olde ones are not E marked, so I have fitted these new ones. Just have to "remove" my third rear fog light as only two are permitted.

I have wondered about second purposing my twin (LED) rear fogs as rear DRLs, with some reduced brightness.

remind me, is it broad daylight when rear fogs are a pain, or just ar night... no fog involved.

anthony

Ok so what I REALLY use them for is directional lighting on hairpins in pitch black night blats, otherwise I can't see.  As well as fully automated legal daylights in daytime, so as to avoid my headlights draining the battery because I forget to switch them off and generally to draw less current, because there are times that matters.

I read very recently the reason countries are making them obligatory is a 15% drop in accidents.. so nothing to do with speed traps.

Ok so what I REALLY use them for is directional lighting on hairpins in pitch black night blats, otherwise I can't see.

I discovered recently that my Mondeo front fogs do exactly that.  When I have the headlights on, the front fog facing the turn comes on as the wheel is turned.  When I reported what I thought was a fault to my local Ford dealer, he explained it all (and thought me a prize muppet, no doubt).

JV

very helpful Edward Lofthouse at Ring Automotive, posted with his ok:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/BRL0398 is approved in Switzerland.

Hi Anthony, is for UK only.

However the FBRL0398 export version is E marked for the EU.

Any E marked part should be fit to use in any other jurisdiction where E marks

are recognised.

Thus stuff tested in Spain and E marked E9 is okay for Austria for example.

E1 ? Germany

E2 ? France

E3 ? Italy

E4 ? Netherlands

E5 ? Sweden

E6 ? Belgium

E7 ? Hungary

E8 ? Czech Republic

E9 ? Spain

E10 ? Yugoslavia

E11 ? United Kingdom

E12 ? Austria

E13 ? Luxembourg

E14 ? Switzerland

E16 ? Norway

E17 ? Finland

E18 ? Denmark

E19 ? Romania

E20 ? Poland

E21 ? Portugal

E22 ? Russian Federation

E23 ? Greece

E24 ? Ireland

E25 ? Croatia

E26 ? Slovenia

E27 ? Slovakia

E28 ? Belarus

E29 ? Estonia

E31 ? Bosnia and Herzegovina

E32 ? Latvia

E34 ? Bulgaria

E37 ? Turkey

E40 ? Macedonia

E42 ? European Community

E43 ? Japan

E45 ? Australia

E46 ? Ukraine

E47 ? South Africa

Switzerland is E14  so you should be ok.

Kind regards,

Edward Lofthouse

Hi Anthony, any E marking done in  Switzerland is E14.
All E marks are equally valid in any other country that recognises E marks.

Any E mark should be recognised in Switzerland.

Where it has been done doesn’t matter.

Some countries laboratories are cheaper than others, hence a lot of E marking is done in Spain for example

as the wages are lower than say Germany. The E marking has equal validity.

Kind regards

Edward Lofthouse

QA Technical Support

Ring Automotive Limited

AN OSRAM BUSINESS

T: +44 1132137339     E: technicalsupport@ringautomotive.com

www.ringautomotive.com

• 2 weeks later...