Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front shocks’ sleeves play, how much? None? Some?

anthonym

R500 K series year 2000

I have had road type Nitrons fitted and the fronts have play in the sleeves top and bottom. A distinct clack clack when lifted and released, wheels off the ground.

It seems there are metric and imperial sleeves. I have metric fitted and I have imperial recently delivered, with lower bolts. The bolts are imperial, hex.

I have aero wishbones.

Previously I had standard fit original Bilsteins. These are hanging on my wall. At least one sleeve remains in place, locked solid.

Does anyone know exactly which sleeves should be fitted?

Before I start experimenting.

Anthony.

Swiss m.o.t. Tomorrow, so that will be interesting, been preparing the car for three days.

Ditch all the old bushes and sleeves and rose joint them, and while your at it powerflex all the bushes in the wishbones, this way you rid the front suspension of all the parasitic stiction and free up the srpings and dampers to correctly fulfill their role without interference from the torsional loading of metalastic bushings.

I just spent a happy evening measuring bolts and sleeves. It seems there are significant tolerances involved, unless my measuring device itself is cheap and nasty (Aldi), but the wiggle test ultimately proved the differences, here is my list of brand new unused sleeves measured inside and out and inside at each end.

The original bolt is black, the new is silver.

Sleeves 9 to 12 are top mount sleeves.  6 and 2 are my selection for use. Very little wiggle and largely inaudible, unlike others.

The lone grubby sleeve was in use until this year, since the Nitrons were fitted.

C6FD24B7-C9C4-49C4-89E8-918A94567A2A.thumb.jpeg.bf7077351273b3922153fd7f93e57855.jpeg 09DF7B54-4FCD-4BBB-BEF5-395EDF6A44B6.thumb.jpeg.01613df83f4ce9083fde651bf2a0de06.jpeg AF355290-A599-4AF3-B268-332001E4BA89.thumb.jpeg.21c973be122a325a57c15538df6b1df4.jpeg 4E9EBC67-FF5B-44FC-9472-98E7F8469521.thumb.jpeg.e5e99056aaad18d950754a24af61d285.jpeg 

IMG_1945.thumb.jpg.5817c6c1da63eacf17d1b07fc6a4f632.jpg

the bush telegraph tells me mankee had the same trouble and had some made locally to match the bolts, so I am off to explore my local engineering facilities (thanks mankee).

expertise/mot today if I turn up at the right time this time - but pass or fail on this they need fixing.

Some of those are really poor at close to 0.2mm/8 thou'.  Internal bores of that size are difficult to measure accurately without pin gauges, are you using digital calipers or something else?

What material are you intending to have them manufactured from?  I'm guessing these bushes sit within spherical bearings so there is no significant load on the bushing due to alignment? 

Any reasonable lathe will get you down to the 2-3 thou range so it shouldn't be difficult to find someone to make them, particularly as ID/OD concentricity isn't critical.  If I were machining them I'd probably want the bolts to hand to get a good clearance.  I don't have pin gauges in my workshop though.  I mention this in case you decide to send them away to someone.

Digital caliper from Aldi.

These are the sleeves that fit top and bottom of the front shocks.

What is your opinion of the two I have selected to try? Nos 2 and 6, as in whether they may suffice? I fear in thsi application the amount of play desired is none, and there is a bit though nothing like the noisy rattle of many of the others.

Digital caliper from Aldi.

The cheap digital calipers are generally very accurate in my experience.  I've tested a few against slip gauges and always found them to be pretty much bang on.  For internal measurements of small bores however calipers are far from ideal.  Generally any errors would give you a dimension that was smaller than the actual size though (unless you were heavy handed) so the chances are that your bushes may well be a worse fit than it appears.

These are the sleeves that fit top and bottom of the front shocks.

Yep, understand that, must have phrased my question badly. 

In the ends of the shock (where these bushes fit) is there a spherical joint or a rubberised bush?  There must be something to allow some misalignment of the bolt through the suspension travel (as the suspension doesn't move through an axis that is perfectly perpendicular to the bush and isn't infinitely rigid).

What is your opinion of the two I have selected to try? Nos 2 and 6, as in whether they may suffice? I fear in thsi application the amount of play desired is none, and there is a bit though nothing like the noisy rattle of many of the others.

As it's not something that I've had any issues with and I'm not able to see the car myself I'm not sure I'm in a good position to advise. 

I think there may be something else going on here still and maybe the play is being incorrectly attributed to the bushes.  I wouldn't expect even the worst of them to cause the level of noise you describe.  In the interest of confirming the measurements do you have an 8mm drill bit (or other accurately ground part) that you can try in the bushes?  If not, does the bolt in your picture feel like an interference fit in the end of the bush that measures 7.82mm?

I believe you're reading the micrometer incorrectly.  The bolt you're measuring in the picture is (just over) 7.83mm diameter.  the graduations on the frame side of the sleeve are 0.5mm each.  The thimble on those style micrometers does 2 full turns per millimetre.  It confuses lots of people, whenever I task one of the lads at work with using a manual mic' I end up showing them how to read it.  And they're being paid to know that *laugh*

I had a suspicion that you'd find the bushes were larger than you'd measured too.  Don't be disheartened, It's pretty much impossible to measure such a small bore with a caliper.  

Those two issues are why I asked you to try a drill bit as a pin gauge, I suspected we'd find what you did (thanks for going along with it).

that means the tolerances between the bolts and bushes are far worse than we thought.  Much more believable now that that would be your issue.

• 2 months later...