Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Starter Motor

heavenly7

I bought one from Redline... it failed everytime the engine got hot! It did exactly that when I visited them and they very kindly not only changed it for another but actually did the work for me, whilst I waited.

Bad news was that when hot, it did exactly the same as the first one i.e. nothing. In desperation, I took the original starter motor to the local auto rewind company who fitted a new solenoid for about £40... and that works fine.

Meanwhile, anyone need a Redline stater motor that works every time when cold but you can't trust when hot?

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

John

Are you sure that your starter is duff. See separate thread on starter motor problems. How long have you had the rewound starter motor. I don't wish it upon you, but you could have problems in the future.

Heavenly

Why the new starter motor. Is it not just a problem which can be corrected by relay as per separate thread? If you really need a new starter I would buy John's and carry out the relay mod. I'm sure it will be satisfactory. Perhaps as he feels it's duff he will let you have it on approval *thumbup*

Paul R.

C7PPR

K series that starts when hot!!

Paul, the repaired motor was a year ago and still works and had done so, before I cooked the solenoid. Redline's two didn,t really work at all on a hot engine, right from day one.

JH

Thanks for your replies. I am not sure whether the starter is suffering the same sort of problem mentioned on the earlier thread. It has always worked fine until today - even when the engine was hot. This morning it did not start from cold - just the usual click. I have checked yet whether it is stuck engaged. If it is not do you reckon it is worth trying the "fix" suggested before removing and replacing or overhauling please?

Very frustrating because the car was of to be mapped today after a superb DVA upgrade - I cant now wait to see how the car performs on the rolling road!

Heavenly, I see you also live in Sussex. Where abouts... as the people I use are on the Tidy Industrial Estate at Ditchling.

If you are unable to get to them in the week you can always drop it off here at the farm and I'll run it over for you - phone me, if I can help (01444 892127)

JH