Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New half hood leaking on seam

MaxB

Hi I've just taken delivery of a new SBFS half hood with 2 'easy in' zips. It has a central seam.

I tested it yesterday (albeit in the downpour) and the central seam, esp at the front, leaked like a sieve. Poss a puddle on hood with downpour. I would have expected better for £300!

Wondered if anyone else has had similar probs ..or thoughts? Not sure if a re-stitch or refund is in order; or whether they are not designed for torrential rain.

Thanks!

Hi Simon, I received this reply from SBFS:

"When I prepare the double easy half hoods I use a waterproof sealer on them, maybe I wasn't liberal enough, I shall send you a bottle of the proofer and if you 'paint this on the central seam it should do the trick. Unfortunately  once a hole is made in fabric it will never be truly waterproof & re-stitching it will make things worse"

We'll see! I'm not holding my breath. Interested in others' experiences.

FYI here is a vid of the leak I sent to them: https://www.dropbox.com/s/45snq9ccblselik/img_8337.mov?dl=0

I

I washed my half hood and reproofed it with Grangers products -  as i have a big seven sewn on the top it did leak through the stiching.

I then went over the inside seams with clear bathroom silicon sealant, left it for 24 hours and used talc on the sealant to prevent it sticking to the hood when rolled up. 

Not sure if it will solve the problem with the zip in hood but worked for me :-)

I've had my SBFS with double zips for a year and found it very good for heavy rain. After about half an hour there is the odd drip on the inside of the windscreen but that's about all. I also have the SFS draft excluder that fits between the headrests and find this makes a massive difference to backdraft water ingress. 

Pete

I guess so, looking at the gallery pics on the website. It looks like the easy in sections are made separately and the 2xhalves are stitched together. It's the central seam that's the problem.

I'll try the 'lashings of sealer' suggestion from SBFS and see how it goes.

Thanks for the other suggestions too!

Max

PS. it's the first time I've ever used a half hood- it's possible i didn't tighten straps enough, allowing it to bow and water to collect. Don't know.

• Area Representative

I’m on my second easy in half hood, the first one for my S3, at the time , now for my SV.

You cannot totally make them waterproof, because as said , effectively you have made holes in them , with all of the stitching. 

My first one I used a waterproofing stick, and went over all of the stitching on the underside of the hood, you can normally get these from a camping shop, I have not done the one for the SV as yet. 

SBFS are a very good company, there products are superb, I’m sure they will help you. 

Kingsley

When I ordered my half hood with one easy in zip, I was warned that it would leak if stationary in heavy rain. On the move it is fine, but sure enough in heavy rain in a traffic jam, it does drip. When parked, I always cover it with a shower cap, and that keeps it very dry.

It would be impossible for me to get in without the zip, and I much prefer the half hood to full hood, so I am a happy SBFS customer. 

Duncan