Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lightened drilled brakes

Lee Mabee

Ongoing wt. reduction....Mike at Bultemeir Enterprises Inc...just completed my brakes....ductal steel brakes..drilled...alloy hats...Wilwood calipers...alloy hangers with stainless steel inserts....25# wt saving...

will attempt to attach photos here

he can be reached at www.boltmaker.com phone US 816-461-1600 FAX 816-461-1971

• Leadership Team

Lee, what kind of price area? USD obviously.

Some time back, there was some talk of Wilwood calipers only being suited to the track (not sure if all models) due to no dust sealing. Is this the case with yours?

Stu.

Can't take credit for these discs.....Chuck Meyers D-Mod (Solo 2) came up with them over a year ago.. wortking with Mike Bultemeir .... .as far as holding up.....they've had the ever-lovin s---t beat out of them, without fracture....Chuck's car ---grips well enought to break my 10th rib on a seat bolster.....(couldn't have been that I was too fat to fit the seat well or that I spun his car)

the steel is ductal 10" radius steel....you'll have ask Mike Bultemeir the technical.....I'm a gynecologist by trade so more into induction and exhaust....than ductal steel...(he says it's what they use for brakes on F-16 fighter jets)

calipers as shown are the billet Superlite singles.....as set up, this is for Solo or sprints.....(don't know their road use worthiness

costs....set per Bultemeir enterprises $1200 US for rotors,hats,hangers, and bolts.....(caliper and pad extra from Wilwood $85 each caliper --pads another $10-15 per wheel)....so total conversions approximately $1600 US (forgot will be some change $ expense for plumbing adaptors as Wilwood uses 1/8" 27 NPT fitting)

as far as straining sphagetti......no experience......but Jez Coates gave a nice desription of the rotors " holier than swiss cheese"...Lee

I wouldn't get too wound up about dust seals or not. On a saloon car where the discs are buried inside wheels and get plastered with mud and salt etc and don't get seen for 50,000 miles between tyre changes this might be an issue. For a Caterham where the discs are in the open behind the wheel, gets used mostly in warm dry weather, gets pampered every couple of 1000 miles (or is that just me?) then it's a different ball park. Check the calipers every so often and clean up any road dirt, salt, pad dust from around the pistons and it'll be fine.