Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Earth Lead

Simon Horne

Hi,

I started the build of a 360R with my son last week and we are, touch wood, progressing well.

We are at the point of installing the engine but not too sure if there is a requirement for an earth lead to go from one of the bolts holding the engine mount to the chassis.

There is no mention of this in the new manual but out of the four bolts, two on each side, one is longer and I presumed for a reason. I had a look at some of the blogs and the previous manual where it was mentioned.

To add further confusion we don't have a lead in the kit for doing this. If there is anyone who has done a build recently and could confirm if this is still a requirement it would be much appreciated.

If you're referring to the 'Ikea' manual, page 43 ("It lives!") shows two leads from the battery -ve terminal , one connected to the chassis next to the battery and the other to the engine block (at what looks like a bellhousing bolt).

That would mean there's no need for the usual direct chassis to engine connection. It might even be considered an improvement since starter current passes through one less terminal than usual!

Cheers

Thanks bjw. I wasn't sure if there had always been two connections from the negative terminal on the battery plus the one from the chassis to the engine. From what you are saying it looks like the chassis to engine one has been deleted. This makes sense as the 'Ikea' manual doesn't mention it and there isn't a lead in the kit.

The one bolt being longer must just have been historic from when there was a lead connected to it.

BJW,

If there is only one thick earth cable and it goes to the engine how does the rest of the car electrics get their earth?

Should be an earth between chassis and block, usually to one of the engine mounts. Ensure you scrape a bit of powdercoat off the chassis to get a good connection.

Three things must be connected together: battery -ve, chassis and engine block. It doesn't matter how, but it requires two cables.

In the Ikea manual, the connection is chassis - battery - block, so no cable is needed directly between the chassis and the block.

With the usual chassis - block cable, the second cable can be be battery - chassis, or battery - block.

Cheers

Don’t scrape powder coating off. 

This has recently been discussed in another thread. 

When I built my car in 2015 I was reluctant to damage the PC and I ran the engine earth to the battery and another lead to the fitting on the chassis just near side of the battery, as described earlier.   

I had discussed this with CC and they couldn’t see why it wouldn’t work, though I had to make up my own lead. In the event, it works fine and apparently this is what is now in the build manual.  

I queried this with Derek Howlett at CC when building my car last month and he confirmed no earth lead is required from engine to engine mount (chassis). This used to be what they (CC) did, but now just go with lead from battery to chassis (unused tapped hole on bulkhead area) and battery to engine housing bolt.

It confused me at the time as they actually sent me 3 earth leads and only 2 are required. You will no doubt find as you go through your build several parts you don’t require and probably some missing that you do require.

Good luck with rest of build.

Hi Tony, I did send Derek a couple of emails but I've not had a response as of yet. That's good to hear confirmation that the connection from the chassis to the engine is not required. It'll save damaging the coating on the chassis as well. 

Touch wood, the build has gone relatively smoothly up to now. We're not in any rush and I think that is helping to give us a bit of thinking time before diving in. Reading some of the blogs I was ready for much more of a battle.

Thanks for all of the replies. This is a very helpful and friendly forum.

Simon