Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series left engine mounting

charlie_pank

After having my fantastic 4-2-1 manifold fitted at the weekend I was left with a REALLY annoying squeak, which I assumed was coming from the manifold itself. After much shaking of the car/exhaust whilst listening just close enough to not burn our ears on the manifold (squeak only reproducible when hot), Dan and I have finally established that it is actually coming from the engine mounting, where it joins the chassis.

You can actually hold the mounting and, while my helper slowly lifts the exhaust, I can feel the mounting groaning. Moving the exhaust more quickly up and down makes it squeak instead of groan. This makes sense as I know that they had to loosen this mounting and jack up the engine in order to fit the manifold...

So... not having put this thing together myself I have a few questions:

Is this a sign that

a) the rubber/metal bit isn't bolted tight enough to the chassis?

b) the rubber/metal bit is bolted too tight to the chassis?

c) the mounting arm that bolts into the top of the rubber/metal bit is bolted too tight

d) the mounting arm is bolted to the rubber/metal bit too loosely

e) the rubber metal bit and all the bolts & nuts need replacing because the mounting is in the process of failing?

Thanks very much *biggrin*

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

Squeaks are from metal/metal (normally).

I would:- a) buy new mounts (with the inner section secured to the outer. Earlier versions weren't). Fit new bolts/nylocs and put some copperslip under the metal/chassis joint.

You could of course just add the c/slip under the old eng mount but having basically taken it all apart you might as well fit a new 'un.

Engine can be supported/jacked up with a trolley jack and a largish piece of plywood to carry the load. Makes job easy.

Good Luck