Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do you tie a & down ?

DaveMorris

Am now the "proud" 🤔 owner of a car trailer.

It's a cheap and cheerful one, not the DB's. (More like a D's Breakfast ) . But it's mine and the 7 will fit on it.

I have the car,

I have the trailer,

I have ratchet straps to fasten the car onto the trailer . . . . .

BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW ☹️

Where do you loop the straps where they'll hold the car down but not damage anything when tightened up ?

Dave M

You tie the tyres to the trailer chassis. If you have ever been the not-so-proud owner of an old banger which has broken down you will see how the breakdown boys do it -essentially they have 4 ratchet straps, one for each wheel, and they lash the thing to the trailer using its wheels. They tie it tight enough for the straps to distort the tyres, so there's no way it's falling off. If you can't work it out for yourself from this, it's probably best to ask at an area meeting or a friendly garage. You don't want it fallingoff.

I use a wheel strap in conjunction with a ratchet strap on each wheel. The ratchet consists of the ratchet mechanism and a separate securing strap.

Loop the free end of the securing strap through both loops of the wheel strap, then position the securing strap over and behind the wheel, looping it so the wheel strap sits horizontally and in front of the wheel. Then secure the hook end of the securing strap on a suitable hook on the trailer. Likewise with your ratchet mechanism and loop through the securing strap and tighten it up so the tyre just starts to deform under the strap.

A picture paints a thousand words- have a look here.

Repeat for all 4 wheels and the car will be will be secure. Remember to stop to tighten the straps up one click each after 5 miles or so (after which any stretch in the straps would have occurred).

Machine mart are the cheapest for these straps. Suit my BJ trailer very well.

I use 3 now. Two front and one rear. Prop quite ok with diagonal one front and one rear...

It won't go anywhere like that! The straps have a huge capacity!

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Interesting *smile*

Is it really a good idea to put all the reverse forces of 500kg through your suspension and wheels....

Surely it would be far less damaging to tie the chassis to the trailer, leaving the suspension free to move?

or better still have fore and aft wheel chocks to hold the car still.

Is the a requirement to actually strap the car on to the trailer, or can it rely on gravity, just as it does when on the road? After all if you have sticky tyres, do you need straps at all?

Lawrence

As the car bounces around on it's suspension the chassis will move relative to the trailer chassis gradually working the straps loose and wearing at the tiedown point on the chassis.

The car is designed to be moved (or not) by forces applied through the wheels, the wheels are the only bits of the car that will not move relative to the trailer, you are unlikely to do any damage to a tyre by clamping a strap onto it, even if the strap does move around a little.

For various reasons I used to attach my Caterham to the trailer with a front and rear strap to the chassis, primarily using the towing eyes.

There's no preload, the straps are running pretty much horizontally. With the racing car I just run a strap over each tyre, but there are no mudguards to interfere.

However it's strapped down leave the car out of gear/handbrake off. That way you know the straps are doing the work and you aren't chipping away at the transmission.

Paul

I've tied my car on every way I can think of..

Goeff

I would not compete on tyres that have deformed as much as I seen ( acb10) deformed

These tyre go flat surfaced on the bottom after very little time...

Rob

totally agree about setup, but I'm not sure which you prefer, are you for or against wheel tieing?

Paul

As usual has the best solution metal rods onto the chassis...sorted *smile*

Any one any experience of Brinell bearing failure?

If this is the correct term.....where damage is done to the wheel bearings due to the wheels not turning during transportation....and the shock loads going thru' the same point continually?

Lawrence