Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Econoseal connectors - wiring them very difficult!

anthonym

ooh thank you chaps :-)  - it just my second attempt and the trick was I copied one I deconstructed (to pinch it). Yes JV it's a trick of the light, I was careful to get a satisfying click with each one (this time) and it has connected easily with the other half which is the standard loom female (for the lamda). Previously I did not realise the little seals are incorporated in to the rear crimp. Much easier this time. The first one is a right mess so I will be deconstructing it shortly. Incorporating the little seal meant I also pre-crimped each rear crimp just a little so it all stays together in the proper crimper.

From your description it sounds like you might be making it hard for yourself. Are you trying to pre-assemble everything then get it into the crimp tool?

I do it this way:

• Slip the seal onto the wire and push it well down.
  • Strip a few mm of the end of the wire.
  • Very lightly twist the strands together. You're not really aiming to end up with them twisted you just want to make sure they are going to stay together and.not splay out.
  • Slide the seal up until the end is just level with the end of the insulation.
  • Put a terminal in the crimper, close the crimper until it just starts to hold the terminal, and make sure the terminal is sitting straight and properly aligned.
  • Slip the wire into the terminal. It the terminal is the correct size for the grade of wire used, it should be possible to slip the end into the terminal until the seal is into the crimp without splaying out and strands. Just sort of feel your way in. You can usually see the ends of the copper strands emerging from the other side.
  • Squeeze the crimper to compete the joint.

Put a terminal in the crimper, close the crimper until it just starts to hold the terminal, and make sure the terminal is sitting straight and properly aligned.

ah yes now I remember you doing that and even pointing out the technique. 

the rest is as I did.