Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Road tyres

ianRoadsport120

Hi to all on here.

As a new Caterham 7 owner would appreciate advice from the experienced owners on here. I finally have my own 7 after many years of saving... My 7 is a modest Roadsport 120 (but perfect for me and such brilliant fun after several MG's, no offense meant to MG owners!) but is in need of new tyres. I only intend to enjoy my 7 on dry days on the road only, (no track day heroics for me yet). It is on 14" wheels so I seek advice on the most suitable tyre for my pride and joy. My MG-F was very nice to drive on the Toyo T1r and I see the Toyo R888 is commonly used on 7's. Are they road legal? Any and all advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Mark.

Thank you for the prompt reply. When I looked on-line at the R888r I thought they cannot be road legal given their tread pattern, etc. They simply looked far too track orientated. As I only intend to use my 7 for Sunday morning/holiday fun (and if I get caught in the rain I will drive sensibly) then the 888 sounds perfect.

Thank you for the advice. Demon Tweeks here I come!

Cheers. Ian

Hi Sooty.

Thanks for your advice.

I only intend doing >2K miles per year so wear is not an issue for me. My 7 is a Sunday morning 'toy' and nothing more. If I get a couple of years driving out of them I will be well pleased. My 7 is an escape from daily 'crap' so  changing the tyres more frequently than my daily drivel (sorry, drive) is not an issue. Within reason can you put a price on the pure, simple pleasure a 7 provides? I can't!

Thanks again for your advice. This is such a good club. Cheers to everyone on here.

Regards Ian.

I use 15" T1R/TR1 for road only, and there are others who use this tyre. T1R has, I believe, very recently been discontinued. TR1 is the replacement, it is very similar except for a different tread pattern allegedly offering increased resistance to aquaplaning. 

I think they're great on my Seven - only a bit heavier than the CR500, grip nearly as good in the dry, much better in the wet, ride is great, very confidence-inspiring and progressive, and very nicely priced. The rubber is soft but after around 10,000 miles on my car there's still plenty of tread left.