Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slow to start K -Series

classic1952

If my Caterham has been left for a week or so it takes ages to start, as if there is no fuel. The fuel pump can be heard ticking and once it stops I need to turn the engine over for 20 seconds or so before it starts. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Did you buy it from a dealer or privately ?

A loose connector on a fuel line could allow air in, and thus drain fuel back to the tank, but this should be obvious when fuel is under pressure ... unless it is sealed under pressure, and seal relaxes when no internal pressure, allowing air in ?

I bought it privately. I have checked through the fuel system ad there are no leaks at all. Once started it runs perfectly. It is as if there is a non-return valve somewhere in the fuel system that is allowing it to drain back to the tank when standing. Am hoping to find someone who has suffered similar.

Memories returning .... I had a diesel Skoda Octavia which exhibited exactly these symptoms after it had been standing. Turned out to be a twisted o-ring on a hose connection on to the fuel filter. Under pressure, it was pushed into place. When standing, it allowed air back in and fuel drained back to the tank. Not aware of a NR valve on the k-series fuel line. You could check the o-ring where the pressurised fuel line connects on to the fuel rail ... this is at the rear of the rail in my 2002 car. Single bolt (or two ?) holds the hose connector on to the end of the rail ... with an easy to lose o-ring between the two.

Just give it a blast of easy start next time it's been stood for a while.  If it's a fuel problem it will start straight away.  It'll save you a lot of time guessing and wondering if it's fuel or spark.

If it is fuel you're then looking at losing fuel pressure or the ECU not triggering the injectors.  The 1st is easy to rule out with a cheap fuel pressure gauge (a very handy tool worth owning).  The 2nd is starting to get a little more in depth but don't worry about that unless you have to.

I would suggest starting your diagnosing with the easy start.

• Area Representative

If you have a bad ECU earth, the pump will run and give fuel and there will be a spark. Every thing you need, except the bad earth prevents the injectors from firing. Ask me how I know - it took a few years to find. On mine, if you squirted fuel into the throttle bodies, it would start immediately and run fine. It would also start some of the time when hot. It did my head in trying to find the problem and in the end, Sevens & Classics found the problem. It got worse and worse over a two year period till in the end it would not start without a squirt of fuel into the T/B’s.

Piers

• 4 weeks later...