Click here if you are having website access problems ×

PTP Throttle Bodies

tom7

No doubt they are an improvement over the original KV6-style TB's, but how do they compare? Advantages / disadvantages, are they as good as they look.

Any users of pre-roller barrel VHPD's care to comment on their experiences.

Finally, any problems setting them up in conjunction with an Emerald?

All info appreciated.

Tom

You'll most probably have trouble getting the engine to idle properly. This seems to be a function of the positioning of the butterflies so far from the valve. I and several other engine builders have had this problem but it doesn't seem to exist with the Jenvey throttle bodies.

I got a good idle with my original KV6 TB's once I'd switched to the Emerald, and they (the TBs) certainly weren't the bhp-limiting factor when considering my engine upgrades. I ended up with 204bhp where the limitation was the cams.

There's a lot already said for having a throttle plate close to the engine, and in this I believe the KV6, PTP and Caterham Rollers appear to have failed when compared to the Jenvey's. However, my KV6 TB's were fine in operation. I think you'll find the PTP ones similarly OK.

You may have a choice to use the IACV or not. Not to use it gives you simplicity of set up and the ability to remove unnecessary wiring. Additionally the IACV can stick and is generally thought not to be terrbily reliable. I got mine to work OK with the IACV although I only persisted with it because it was already there.

I believe Chris Clark has the PTP Tb's.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Found out last night that Tom is one of my locals.... ignorant git aren't I?

Anyway Tom, if you ever want to pop over to discuss or investigate any aspects of what I've done to mine you're welcome. Or if you want to bring your car over to compare/contrast, please do.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours