Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1989 BDR 1700 question(s)

mbracing61

Hi all

as the new owner (but old of age) of a 1989 BDR 1700 model of which you can see story and pictures in the New Members thread, I was looking to ask to the experts in the Forum about the differences from a “normal” BDR and an HPC model. In an older post I read that real HPC cars “are 1700 cc, have LSD, de Dion, 5 speed, rear anti roll bar etc.” and my BDR has those specs (see copy of original invoice attached). Moreover I was looking to ask if when new those cars were delivered from the Factory with some literature like an owner’s handbook or something similar. I’m very interested to obtain a copy of it or even an original, if possible. At last a kind of a stupid question as in the merchandise section I cannot find any Club decal or plaque to put on the car, there is any available to buy?

many thanks in advance for your precious suggestions and help.

mbracing61

A6F98876-FC85-4303-B081-8EFA4583A1C6.thumb.jpeg.48dd92fb48a4d42a2b474a5386d2da09.jpeg

Hi MB, mines a 1990 BDR HPC as confirmied by the Caterham Archivist, Martin Phipps, the only other addition to those bits you have stated were 'individual front seats'..

The best things to do is write to Martin.Phipps@Caterham.com, quote the chassis number and he'll be able to answer., he only works one day per week so be patient..

My belief is the first character in the last 4 digits needs to be an 'H' for it to be one of the 62 HPCst hat were sold, but Martin can confirm.

Great purchase by the way, mine is so LOUD...and goes so well after a full rebuild.

Alan

Hi Tazio

Thanks. I’m already in contact with Martin and he confirmed my one is a BDR, my question was about the real differences between a BDR and an HPC.

BTW do you know if those cars were delivered with an owner’s manual ehen new?

cheers.

mbracing61

My understanding was HPC Standard features included LSD, 14” KN alloys, adjustable dampers & competition springs, competition front wishbones & springs, anti-roll bar, rear anti roll bar and adjustable seats and the High Performance Course.

As far as handbook is concerned, mine has been through 6 previous owners, so if it did it's been lost in the midst of time...sorry.

Alan

Nice :-)

While you were reading that I scanned in the 1986 assembly guide I think is the one used to build mine here 

tell me when you have it as the link is straight to my computer. As you will see, it is suitably tatty.

what’s your chassis number? I can’t read the image as we can’t zoom them in here

And here is the image missing in my blog is this, from Caterham Sevens by Chris Rees a book well worth buying.

E4A5315F-44F9-47D4-B1B4-1C255894C6BF.thumb.jpeg.57b75974c3755d044c831b362c0e416b.jpeg

Of course that is plus one, being mine because the engine was supplied by Cosworth (or « not Caterham »). And identifying features were (are) Cosworth BDR 1700 engine, with twin Weber 45DCOE carbs, de Dion rear axle, chassis numbers within sequence 4519-30760 and have BD suffix, engines have BDR and triple numeral suffix, last unit was BDR494. These are BEFORE the HPC and are known as the 1700 BDR.