Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery choice and charging confusion

Gavel

• Area Representative

i was simply going to ask for recommendations for a replacement 12v battery for my 2007 CSR. Then I read the owner handbook. To paraphrase, it says the battery must be removed before charging as failure to do so “may seriously damage the electrical system”. Really? So what about plugging the trickle charger/battery conditioner into the cigarette lighter? So two questions to those who know: what battery, please, and is the cig lighter system safe to use (because I plug in every time I put the car away)?

To paraphrase, it says the battery must be removed before charging as failure to do so “may seriously damage the electrical system”.

I haven't seen that and I'll check. EDITED: See next post.

I'm not aware of any problems that have arisen in Sevens from using smart conditioning chargers connected through "cigar lighter" sockets.

Smart conditioning chargers are different from dumb traditional trickle chargers. What have you got?

(They might be referring to big chargers as used on trolleys in garages.)

Jonathan

Is it this piece in the Handbook?

Jonathan

1. Battery charging

Batteries generate explosive gases, contain corrosive acid and produce levels of electric current sufficient to cause serious injury. While charging always heed the following precautions:

• Before charging, disconnect and remove the battery from the vehicle – charging the battery with the cables connected may damage the vehicle’s electrical system.

• Make sure the battery charger leads are securely clamped to the battery terminals BEFORE switching on the battery charger. Do not move the leads once the charger is switched on.

• While charging, shield your eyes or avoid leaning over the battery and keep the area around the top of the battery well ventilated.

• Do not allow naked lights near the battery (batteries generate flammable hydrogen during and after charging).

• When charging is finished, switch off the battery charger BEFORE disconnecting the leads from the battery terminals.

• After charging, leave the battery for an hour BEFORE reconnection to the vehicle – this will allow time for explosives gases to disperse, thereby minimising the risk of fire or explosion.

NOTE: Be aware that a battery will take longer to charge in a cold environment.

WARNING!

• DO NOT charge the battery if it is connected to the car – this may seriously damage the electrical system.

• DO NOT charge the battery if it is suspected of being frozen.

• Area Representative

Correct Jonathan. My handbook gives the warning in two separate places, but I agree you are probably right about dumb chargers. My conditioner came from Aldi (!) but have never experienced any problem with my previous  Caterhams. I did search the library but gave up after looking through five or six pages of results (including the one about the DAB radio that works on the mains but not on battery).

• Area Representative

Agreed. I mention the CSR only because that’s what I need the battery for. The one fitted (by a previous owner) doesn’t actually fit the battery tray properly and I’ll probably just get a Banner, but I’m always open to suggestions of something better.

• Area Representative

I'm afraid I cannot recall. I purchased it at Stoneleigh when a Banner battery packed up. The car it was on is now sold. Sorry.

For what it's worth I've been using a CTEK MXS 3.8 and charging through the 12v socket using the optional cig adapter with LEDs.   I've done this from the outset and had no problems.  I tend to hook the car up if the LEDs drop into the amber range.

To be honest, I've never had any issues with a CTEK product, I've used them for years on my Exige and other cars.